March 12, 1979 |
Santo Stefano in Aspromonte, Calabria, Italy
|Spouse(s)||Kat Coiro; 3 children|
Born in Santo Stefano in Aspromonte Calabria, Italy or Washington, D.C. (accounts differ) to David Coiro and Professor Ann Baynes Coiro, Rhys attended Princeton High School in NJ. As a teenager, Coiro, a talented visual artist, began working for a local artist who introduced him to the artistic director of The Passage Theater, June Ballinger. Ballinger got him involved with the State Street theater project in Trenton NJ, modeled after Primary stages’ 52nd street project. From there, Coiro spent summers building sets and operating lights at the New Jersey Shakespeare festival. Inspired by numerous productions, including Julie Taymor’s “Titus Andronicus” at TFANA, Coiro decided to study theater at Carnegie Mellon University, where he eventually graduated with a BFA. He also spent time studying at The Moscow Art Theater in Russia.
At age 19, Coiro got his first professional gig as an understudy to three roles in the American premiere of Conor McPherson’s off-Broadway play “This Lime Tree Bower” directed by Harris Yulin at Primary Stages. Within a month of graduating from CMU, Coiro landed the role of Eddie the Bellhop in the Lincoln Center revival of George S. Kauffman’s “Dinner at Eight”, directed by the late Gerald Guitierrez.
Coiro then moved to Los Angeles and began working in construction, including a stint building a house with Nick Offerman. In fact, Coiro received the call that he’d landed his first on-screen acting gig, as Billy Walsh on “Entourage”, while digging a hole for a deck in Echo Park. The role of Walsh was originally meant to be a guest star but soon evolved into an iconic character that has defined Coiro's career.
Coiro shared a studio space in Historic Phillipino town with then-unknown painter Jonas Wood. During this period, Coiro formed an underground, traditional Irish music band with artists Matt Johnson and Greg Santos, that played around East LA. In ’07, following the birth of his first child, Coiro accepted the role of Sean Hillinger on the 7th season of "24". Coiro was cast in “The Last House On The Left” but had to pull out when the writer’s strike abruptly ended and production resumed on “24”. The role ended up being given to Aaron Paul. In ’09 Coiro returned to the stage, starring in a production of Howard Korder’s “Boy’s Life” at Second Stage in New York opposite Jason Biggs. In ’10 Coiro starred in Slamdance Winner “Snow and Ashes” and in '11 appeared alongside Alexander Skarsard in Screen Gems’ remake of “Straw Dogs.” In ’14, Coiro was antagonist to Stevie Van Zandt’s character on the final season of Netflix’s first original series, the Norweigan mega-hit “Lillyhammer” and he played one of the original Texas Rangers in The History Channel’s Mini-series “Texas Rising”, alongside Ray Liotta, Bill Paxton and Brendan Fraser. During this show he honed his riding and roping skills. In ’15 Coiro played Armenian gangster Ari Adamian on the final season of TNT’s “Graceland”.
His upcoming projects include “The Life and Death Of John Gotti” with John Travolta, helmed by “Entourage” cast mate Kevin Connolly, “Valley Of The Bones” and period caper “Finding Steve McQueen”, directed by Marc Steven Johnson.
Coiro is fluent in Italian and Spanish.
|2017||Finding Steve McQueen||Filming|
|2014||This Last Lonely Place||Sam Taylor|
|2014||4 Minute Mile||Eli|
|2013||As Cool as I Am||Ron|
|2011||A Good Old Fashioned Orgy||Marcus|
|2010||Order of Chaos||John|
|2010||30 Days of Night: Dark Days||Paul|
|2010||Snow & Ashes||Blaise|
|2009||Man Without a Head||Dino|
|2009||The Unborn||Mr. Shields|
|2003||Making Revolution||Italian Activist|
|2015||Graceland||Ari Adamian||Recurring Character|
|2013||Longmire||Bill Norquist||Guest Star|
|2013||Hostages||Kramer Delaney||Main Cast|
|2013||Dexter||Andrew Briggs||Guest star|
|2012||Person of Interest||Jordan Hester||Guest star|
|2011||A Gifted Man||Dr. Zeke Barnes||Recurring character|
|2010||Hawaii Five-0||Bradford Matinsky||Guest star|
|2004–2011||Entourage||Billy Walsh||Recurring character|
|2010||Burn Notice||Vince Cutler||Guest star|
|2010||Dark Blue||Victor||Guest star|
|2009||24||FBI Agent Sean Hillinger||Regular character|
|2007||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Reverend's Lawyer||Guest star|
|2007||Tell Me You Love Me||Jaime's Rebound||2 episode guest star|
|2007||Criminal Minds||Ethan||Guest star|
|2007||Numb3rs||Ricky Jones||Guest star|
|2006||Ugly Betty||Vincent Bianchi||2 episodes:
"Queens for a Day"
"Fey's Sleigh Ride"
|2005||CSI: NY||Razor||Guest star|
|2005||CSI: Miami||Diablo||Guest star|
|2005||Six Feet Under||Wolf||Guest star|
|2003||One on One||Zorbo Vishanisavik||Guest star|
- Baynes, Coiro, Ann. "Coiro, Ann Baynes". english.rutgers.edu. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "A conversation with Rhys Coiro". NJ.com. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Karen McLean - Artist | Photographer | 609.466.3475". www.karenmclean.com. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "June Ballinger". Passage Theatre. 2015-01-06. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- (CMU), Carnegie Mellon University. "People's Choice - Carnegie Mellon University | CMU". www.cmu.edu. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Moscow Art Theater School | A.R.T. - American Repertory Theater". americanrepertorytheater.org. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Theater Review A staging of 'Lime Tree Bower' that speaks for itself — Irish Echo". irishecho.com. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- Sommer, CurtainUp, Elyse. "Dinner at Eight, a CurtainUp review". www.curtainup.com. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Home". Bad 4 Business Podcast. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Second Stage's Boys' Life, with Biggs, Coiro and Scanavino, Opens Off-Broadway Oct. 20 | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "'Snow and Ashes,' 'American Jihadist': Slamdance Winners". Alt Film Guide. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- ""Entourage"-stjerne klar for "Lilyhammer"". VG. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- Team, The Deadline (2014-04-18). "Rhys Coiro & Joe Egender Join History's 'Texas Rising'". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Ari Adamian (Character)". IMDb. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- Glaser, Dan; Coiro, Rhys; Molony, Steven; Mahay, Mason (2000-01-01), Valley of Bones, retrieved 2017-01-12
- "Entourage and Graceland Star Rhys Coiro Makes Impromptu Visit to Standing Rock - Indian Country Media Network". Indian Country Media Network. 2016-12-03. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Rhys Coiro and Kat Coiro Photos Photos: LA Film Fest Premiere of "Life Happens" - Red Carpet". Zimbio. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- West, Kelly (June 6, 2013). "Dexter Photos Offer New Clues For Season 8". Cinema Blend. Retrieved June 21, 2013.