17 October 1965 |
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Rhys Muldoon (born 17 October 1965 in Newcastle, New South Wales) is an Australian actor, writer and director who has worked extensively in film, television, music, theatre and radio. Since 2012 he has starred as Mark Oliver in House Husbands.
Muldoon has starred in numerous television roles including Bastard Boys, House Husbands, Play School and the high rating Dr Bogle and Mrs Chandler, the BAFTA nominated Lockie Leonard based on the books by Australian writer Tim Winton, Blackjack with Colin Friels, the multiple AFI award winning Grass Roots (series 1 and 2) as the scheming general manager, Greg Dominelli, Secret Life of Us, Big Sky, and The Genie From Down Under. He featured regularly on the ABC news and current affairs program The Drum and has starred in House Husbands and in a small recurring role in Rake alongside Richard Roxburgh.
In film, Muldoon has appeared in the Oscar-nominated film The Saviour (2006), Ladykiller (1993), Gristle (1998), Mumbo Jumbo (1999), Danny Deckchair (2003), The Crop (2004), Second Chance (2005), The Extra (2005), Valentine's Day (2007), the hit of the 2008 Tribeca Film Festival, Bitter & Twisted and Steven Soderbergh's "Secret Film Project" (2010).
Rhys Muldoon has released 2 albums of Children's music through ABC Music; 'I'm Not Singing' (2012), and 'Perfect Is the Enemy Of Good', (2015). Both albums were co-written and produced by Kram (Spiderbait), and nominated for ARIA Awards.
Steven Soderbergh's Tot Mom for the Sydney Theatre Company (2009/10), Gethsemane by David Hare for Belvoir St Theatre (2009). Muldoon starred as British Prime Minister Tony Blair in the play Stuff Happens by David Hare in Sydney and Melbourne. In 2005, he was Cooley in Don's Party in 2006/7 for the MTC/STC. He starred in Decadence by Steven Berkoff, as Mozart in a production of Amadeus, as Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet and as Demetrius in A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Muldoon has worked on many radio stations in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra, as well as ABC national and local radio.
He is married and has a young daughter, Lottie. He lives in Katoomba, NSW, a town west of Sydney.
Awards and nominations
- 2015 ARIA Music Awards nomination for Best Children's Album for Perfect Is The Enemy Of Good
- 2012 ARIA Music Awards nomination for Best Children's Album for I'm Not Singing
- 2000 AFI Award nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role for Grass Roots
- 1997 Best Actor Award Short Film and Video Awards
- 1995 Green Room Award Nomination Best Actor for Decadence
- 1995 Melbourne International Comedy Festival Award for Best Actor – Decadence
- 1991 Green Room Award nomination for 3 Guys Naked From the Waist Down
- Playing by the Aussie Rules
- Doco makers high on ideas, low on funds
- Lockie Leonard on TV
- The Way we Were
- Australian Screen Office
- Profile at Big Screen 2008
- Bitter and Twisted Review from At the movies
- Soderbergh's surprise
- "I'm Not Singing". ABC Shop. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- "Perfect Is The Enemy Of Good- Rhys Muldoon". ABC Shop. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- "Aria Awards - 2015 ARIA Awards Connected By Telstra | Nominated artists revealed". www.ariaawards.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- Stuff Happens
- ASC Reviews
- Melbourne Writers Festival Profile
- Celebrity author Kevin Rudd finds eager audience
- "RHYS Muldoon has drawn on his own experience for his role in a "cheating scandal" plot in Nine's House Husbands.". Herald Sun.
- AFI Nominations 2000
- Rhys Muldoon at the Internet Movie Database
- Greg Dominelli/Rhys bio on Grassroots website
- Jasper + Abby and the Great Australia Day Kerfuffle
- Rhys Muldoon on Twitter, A dark night of the soul awaits this government.