|Member of the National Assembly of the Republic of Korea for the electoral district of Deogyang-gu|
April 30, 2003 – May 29, 2008
|Preceded by||Chi-Young Kwack (canceled)|
|Succeeded by||Son Beom Gyu|
|44th Minister of Health and Welfare|
February 10, 2006 – May 22, 2007
|Preceded by||Kim Geun Tae|
|Succeeded by||Byun Jae-jin|
July 28, 1959 |
Bookboo-dong, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
|Political party||Unified Progressive Party (2011-)
People's Participation Party (2009-2011)
Uri Party (2003-2007)
Reform National Party (2002-2003)
|Alma mater||Seoul National University
Department of Economics (B.S.)
Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz
Gutenberg School of Management & Economics (M.S.)
|Website||Official website in Korean|
|Service/branch||Republic of Korea Army|
|Revised Romanization||Yu Simin|
Rhyu Si-min (Hangul: 유시민; born July 28, 1959) is a South Korean politician who served as the 44th Minister of Health and Welfare from February 2006 to May 2007. Before starting his political career since August 2002, he was a journalist of Dong-a Ilbo and The Hankyoreh, with having his continuous progressive and liberal attitudes. He was in the UNDP as an Assembly member (representative) for Deogyang A district, and is a graduate of Seoul National University with a degree in Economics, and master's from the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz in Economics. He resigned on May 22, 2007. He declared his presidential candidacy on August 18, 2007.
He was selected by the liberal opposition parties to run for governor of Gyeonggi-do province on May 13, 2010  In December 2011, Rhyu merged his People's Participation Party into the Unified Progressive Party, of which he is one of the co-chairs.
He announced his retirement from politics on Fedruary 19, 2013.
After graduating Shim-in Senior High(School) in Daegu, he entered Seoul National University and served as president of the Students' Union in the 1980s. He fought against Chun Doo-hwan's military regime to bring freedom and democracy to his nation, however, he was arrested with an accusation (the SNU Fraction case, which was made by Chun's regime) and enlisted to the DMZ to serve a military service for 33 months. He has become popular in a field of the Democratic movement of South Korea, with claiming his false-charge with 'The grounds of an appeal'(항소이유서) against the Seoul district court which secured by Chun's regime.
After the 1987 election, he married his colleague, Dr. Han Gyeong-hye (한경혜), an SNU graduate in Mathematics (and a fellow of Democratic movement) on November 1988, and served as an aide to Lee Hae Chan (a Member at that moment) for 2 years. After finishing his job, the couple went to Germany to study their majors in the 1990s.
- (Press-release)Rhyu Si-min officially announced his pre-registered candidacy for the 2007 presidential election, Usimin.net, Retrieved on August 21, 2007
- Opposition bloc fields joint candidate for Gyeonggi governor, JoongAng Daily, Retrieved on May 25, 2010
- Progressive parties unified, Yonhap News Agency, retrieved 1 February 2012
- , The Kyunghyang Shinmun 2013 Fedruary 19
- Do not become sensible like Rhyu Si-min(Korean), Prof. Dr.Han Hong-gu, Hankyoreh 21, Retrieved on April 4, 2005
- My husband is the most-domestic person, an Interview with Dr. Han Gyeong-hye, Voice of Jeju, Retrieved on August 29, 2007
- "유시민 "총선 여소야대 되면 상상초월 초대형 정권 비리 터질 것"". Nocut News (in Korean). 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Official Homepage (Korean)
- Simin Gwangjang(시민광장, Official political initiative)(Korean)
- Simin Sarang(시민사랑, Official on-line fanpage) (Korean)
- Simin Maul(시민마을, Online fanpage) (Korean)
- Newsimin(뉴 시민, On-line fanpage) (Korean)
Kim Geun Tae
|Health and Welfare Minister of South Korea