Ria Stalman in 1982
11 December 1951 |
Delft, the Netherlands
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||82 kg (181 lb)|
|Sport||Discus throw, shot put|
|Club||Sparta, Den Haag|
She won the gold medal in the discus throw at the 1984 Summer Olympics, which earned her the Dutch Sportswoman of the year award the same year. Between 1973 and 1983 she won medals, including 15 gold, in the discus throw and shot put at every national championships.
In early 2016, Stalman admitted in a TV interview that she had been using doping when she won her 1984 gold medal. The results and records remain, because the offense is too old to prosecute.
In July 1984 she achieved her best discus throw of 71.22 m. This remained the Dutch record until November 2016, when the Royal Dutch Athletics Federation annulled the record due to doping violations.
- Ria Stalman. sports-reference.com
- Sportvrouw van het jaar. nocnsf.nl
- Jeroen Heijmans (8 August 2007) Nederlands goud (43). sportgeschiedenis.nl
- Olympisch kampioene Stalman bekent dopinggebruik Volkskrant.nl Retrieved 8 January 2016
- "Atletiekunie neemt Stalman Nederlands record af" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Omroep Stichting. November 21, 2016. Retrieved November 22, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ria Stalman.|
Conny van Bentum
|Dutch Sportswoman of the Year
|This biographical article relating to Dutch athletics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|