This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Koch Records (US)
|Associated acts||Kinky Machine|
|Past members||Louis Eliot|
Rialto were a Britpop band of the late 1990s. They released their self-titled debut album in 1998, followed by their second and final album, Night on Earth, in 2002. Their single "Untouchable" reached the top 20 in the UK Singles Chart.
- Louis Eliot – lead vocalist, guitar, songwriter
- Jonny Bull – guitar, programming, backing vocals, producer
- Julian Taylor – bass, backing vocals and trumpet
- Pete Cuthbert – drums
- Toby Hounsham – keyboards (1997–2000)
- Anthony Christmas – drums (1997–2000)
Rialto grew from the remains of the band Kinky Machine, which featured singer Louis Eliot and guitarist Jonny Bull. Kinky Machine released two albums: their self-titled debut in 1993 (Oxygen/MCA Records) and Bent in 1995.
In 1997, Elliot and Bull rejoined and, with the addition of bassist Julian Taylor, drummer Pete Cuthbert and keyboardist Toby Hounsham, formed Rialto. Later that year they released their first singles, "When We're Together" and "Untouchable." The latter was re-released in January 1998 and cracked the Top 20 in the UK chart. Despite the anticipated arrival of their self-titled debut album, East West Records dropped them from their label, with China Records releasing the album on 13 July 1998 instead. The six-track Girl On A Train EP followed two years later, receiving accolades from NME and Q magazines. By the time Rialto gathered to make a second album, Hounsham and Christmas had left the group, leaving them as a four-piece. The band finally released their second and final album, Night on Earth, in March of 2002.
Post band activities
Bull co-wrote the song "Friday Night" with Lily Allen at his studio in southwest Portugal. The song ended up on her debut album Alright, Still. In 2011, he wrote and sang the song for the "Ph. Diddy" video produced by Invitrogen to illustrate life in a biotechnology laboratory.
- Rialto (1998) – UK No. 21
- Night on Earth (2000)
- Girl on a Train (2000)
- "When We're Together" (1997)
- "Monday Morning 5.19" (1997) – UK No. 37
- "Untouchable" (1998) – UK No. 20
- "Dream Another Dream" (1998) – UK No. 39
- "Summer's Over" (1998) – UK No. 60 
- "Anything Could Happen" (2001)
- "London Crawling" (2001)