A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Riaz at Dhaka Lit Fest 2017
Riaz Uddin Ahamed Siddique
1972 (age 46–47)
|Occupation||Actor, producer, television presenter, businessman|
Mushfika Tina (m. 2007)
|Awards||Bangladesh National Film Awards (three times)|
Meril Prothom Alo Awards (seven times)
Riaz Uddin Ahamed Siddique (Pronunciation (help·info); born 1972), commonly known as Riaz, is a Bangladeshi film actor, producer, model and television presenter who has appeared in more than 100 Bengali films in genres ranging from romance to action to comedies. He is the recipient of numerous awards, including three National Film Awards and seven Meril Prothom Alo Awards.
Riaz first appeared onscreen as a side role in filmmaker Dewan Nazrul's social action drama Banglar Nayok (1995). He began a full-time career in film with a leading role in the highly successful romantic drama Praner Cheye Priyo (1997). In 2005, Riaz worked with Bollywood actress Susmita Sen for Mahesh Manjrekar's film It Was Raining That Night. His last movie "Krishnopokkho" was released on 26 February 2016, directed by Meher Afroz Shaon. He served in the Bangladesh Air Force before joining the film industry.
Early life and Military career
Riaz was born in 1972 to an aristocratic Muslim family in Faridpur District, Bangladesh. Riaz is the youngest child in his family. He has six sisters and a brother, Raisuddin Ahamed Siddique. He was brought up in CNB staff quarters of Faridpur for the first sixteen years of his life. His father, the late Zainuddin Ahamed Siddique, was a government service holder. His mother was Arjumand Ara Begum. His paternal home is in Jessore District. His father died in 1988.
Riaz participated in the examinations to be a pilot in the Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) right after his HSC results in 1988. He enrolled at the BAF Academy from 1989 to 1991 for flying training and to earn his bachelor's degree under Rajshahi University in science, he was commissioned as a Pilot Officer in Bangladesh Air Force in 1991. However, he was dismissed from the service for disobeying his superiors in 1993, he was promoted till Flying Officer rank.
After withdrawal from the BAF, Riaz moved to Dhaka in 1994. There he met his cousin, actress Bobita, and started his film career in 1995. Riaz married Mushfika Tina, a dance teacher, in a traditional Muslim wedding ceremony on 18 December 2007.
In 1995, Riaz was in Dewan Nazrul's commercially successful film Banglar Nayok, although the movie did not bring him personal popularity. In 1997, Mohammad Hannan's romantic film Praner Cheye Priyo was an extraordinary commercial success, and Riaz became popular soon after. He works with many renowned filmmakers in Bangladesh, and has acted in numerous films that have been commercially successful. He was also in filmmaker Mahesh Manjrekar's film It Was Raining That Night and has acted in the English language. In this film, he acted with Sushmita Sen for the first time. Now he has become a popular heartthrob to millions of people in the country.
Early in his career, Riaz played some romantic roles in films such as Praner Cheye Priyo, Hridoyer Aina (1997), Kajer Meye, Prithibi Tomar Amar, Bhalobasi Tomake (1998), Biyer Phul, Narir Mon (1999), E Badhon Jabena Chire, Nishwase Tumi Biswase Tumi, Bhownkor Bishu (2000), Hridoyer Bandhon, O Priya Tumi Kothay (2001), Premer Taj Mahal (2002), Moner Majhe Tumi (2003), Wrong Number (2004), Hridoyer Kotha (2006) and Akash Chhoa Bhalobasa (2008).
He has acted in some literary adaptations, and in his career he has portrayed many consecutive roles to wide critical acclaim in films such as Dui Duari (2000), Shasti: Punishment, Megher Pore Megh: Clouds After Cloud and Shyamol Chhaya: The Green Shadow (2004), Hajar Bachhor Dhore: Symphony of Agony (2005), Bidrohi Padma and Khelaghar: Dollhouse (2006), Daruchini Dip and Ekjon Songe Chhilo (2007), Megher Koley Rod: Sunshine In The Clouds, Ki Jadu Korila and Chandra Grohon: The Lunar Eclipse (2008), Ebadat: The Worship (2009) and Modhumoti (2011). Riaz also acted in Ogni Bolaka a drama that is based on Birshreshtho Flight Lieutenant Matiur Rahman's life.
|1995||Banglar Nayok||Munna||Dewan Nazrul||Sonia|
|1997||Praner Cheye Priyo||Anik / Rony||Mohammad Hannan||Raveena||Best Actor Meril Prothom Alo Awards|
|1997||Hridoyer Ayna||Hridoy||Mokhlesur Rahman||Ayna|
|2000||Mone Pore Tomake||Raj||Montazur Rahman Akbar||Riya Sen|
|2000||Dui Duari||Mystery-man||Humayun Ahmed||Meher Afroz Shaon||Best Actor National Film Awards|
|2001||Shashur Bari Zindabad||Badhan||Debashish Biswas||Shabnur||Best Actor Meril Prothom Alo Awards|
|2001||Hridoyer Bandhon||Akash||F I Manik||Shabnur|
|2002||Premer Taj Mahal||Robin||Gazi Mahbub||Shabnur||Best Actor Meril Prothom Alo Awards|
|2002||Bhalobasa Kare Koy||Suvo||Zakir Hossain Raju||Shabnur||Best Actor BFPDA Film Awards|
|2003||Moner Majhe Tumi||Sentu / Benu||Motiur Rahman Panu||Purnima||Best Actor Meril Prothom Alo Awards|
|2004||Wrong Number||Abir||Motin Rahman||Shrabanti|
|2004||Shasti||Chhidam||Chashi Nazrul Islam||Purnima||Best Actor (Critics) Meril Prothom Alo Awards|
|2004||Megher Pore Megh||Sezan Mahmud/Majid||Chashi Nazrul Islam||Purnima||Best singer - Subur Nandi National Film Awards|
|2005||Shyamol Chhaya||Imam||Humayun Ahmed||Tania Ahmed Meher Afroz Shaon||Best Contemporary Film (2005. London) 6th Bangladesh Film Festival|
|2005||Hajar Bachhor Dhore||Montu||Kohinur Akter Suchanda||Shashi||Best Actor (Critics) Meril Prothom Alo Awards|
|2005||It Was Raining That Night||Vijay Kumar Dixit / Zaffar||Mahesh Manjrekar||Sushmita Sen and Riya Sen|
|2006||Hridoyer Kotha||Anik||S. A. Haque Olike||Purnima||Best Actor Meril Prothom Alo Awards|
|2006||Khelaghor: Dollhouse||Yakub||Morshedul Islam||Sohana Saba||Best Actor BFFS Film Awards|
|2007||Daruchini Dip||Suvro||Tauquir Ahmed||Zakia Bari Momo||Best Actor National Film Awards|
|2008||Ki Jadu Korila||Sagar||Chandan Chowdhury||Popy||Best Actor National Film Awards|
|2008||Akash Chhoa Bhalobasa||Akash||S. A. Haque Olike||Purnima||Nomination- Best Actor Meril Prothom Alo Awards|
|2009||Chander Moto Bou||Riaz||Mohammed Hossain||Shabnur Nipun||Best Dialogue Bangladesh National Film Awards|
|2014||Lobhey Pap Papey Mrityu||Sagar Chowdhury||Sohanur Rahman Sohan||Purnima|
|2015||Krishnopokkho||Muhib||Meher Afroz Shaon||Mahiya Mahi|
Awards and nominations
Riaz has received Three National Film Awards for his unique contribution in the Bangladesh film industry. Acting for the films Dui Duari ( 2000) by Humayun Ahmed, Daruchini Dip (2007) by Tauquir Ahmed and Ki Jadu Korila (2008) by Chandan Chowdhury.
National Film Awards
- Best Actor for Dui Duari - 2000
- Best Actor for Daruchini Dwip - 2007
- Best Actor for Ki Jadu Korila - 2008
Meril Prothom Alo Awards
- Best Actor for Praner Cheye Priyo - 1998
- Best Actor for Shashur Bari Zindabad - 2001
- Best Actor for Premer Taj Mahal - 2002
- Best Actor for Moner Majhe Tumi - 2003
- Best Actor for (Critics) Shasti: Punishment - 2004
- Best Actor (Critics) Hajar Bachhor Dhore: Symphony of Agony - 2005
- Best Actor for Hridoyer Kotha - 2006
- Arumana (20 January 2011). "Riaz uddin ahamed siddique". People Face of Bangladesh. Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Nusrat Jahan Pritom (19 January 2010). "Riaz and Tina: A perfect match on and off screen". The Daily Star. Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- Rashed Shaon. চার দশকে আমাদের সেরা চলচ্চিত্রগুলো. GLITZ.bdnews24 (in Bengali). Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Culture Desk (17 August 2013). "Actor Riaz on 'Amar Ami' tonight". The Daily Sun. Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- Mahmuda Afroz (4 August 2006). ""There is no ingenuity in our current films"-- Riaz". The Daily Star. Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Nusrat Jahan Pritom (12 June 2014). "The Charming Riaz". The Daily Sun. Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Alamgir Kobir (12 April 2014). উল্টো পথে রিয়াজ. Daily Naya Diganta (in Bengali). Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- Ananda Kantha (14 February 2014). আজ মুক্তি পাচ্ছে ৫ চলচ্চিত্র. Janakantha (in Bengali). Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- পেশাদারির উন্নতি হয়নি: রিয়াজ. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). 12 February 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- Magazine-GROOVE (10 February 2014). "Dance Makes Them Love: Riaz-Tina". The Daily Sun. Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- Entertainment Desk (15 November 2011). "তারকার ডায়েরি". Manabzamin (in Bengali). Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Mahfuzur Rahman (8 September 2010). "ফিরে দেখা ঈদের ছবি". The Daily Ittefaq (in Bengali). Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Daily Entertainment (21 October 2010). "রিয়াজ". The Daily Ittefaq (in Bengali). Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Alauddin Majid (3 November 2010). "আর অভিনয় নয় : রিয়াজ". Daily Bangladesh Protidin (in Bengali). Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Kamruzzaman (19 September 2009). "তিনিই সুস্মিতা সেন! কামরুজ্জামান". Prothom Alo (in Bengali). Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Meghla Rahman Brishti (19 February 2010). "অভিনয়ে সেরা রিয়াজ ও পপি". The Daily Kaler Kantho (in Bengali). Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- BSS, Dhaka (10 September 2003). "PM to distribute film awards today". The Daily Star. Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Nadia Sarwat (25 October 2008). "National Film Awards generate enthusiasm". The Daily Star. Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Staff Corresponden (22 May 2004). "Meril-Prothom Alo Award handed over". The Daily Star. Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Khalid-Bin-Habib (14 May 2006). "Meril-Prothom Alo Award '05". The Daily Star. Dhaka, Bangladesh. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Riaz.|