Ribbon of Darkness
|"Ribbon of Darkness"|
|Single by Gordon Lightfoot|
|B-side||"Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues"|
|Gordon Lightfoot singles chronology|
|"Ribbon of Darkness"|
|Single by Marty Robbins|
|Released||March 22, 1965|
|Marty Robbins singles chronology|
"Ribbon of Darkness" is a song written by Gordon Lightfoot that was released in 1965 as a single by Marty Robbins. The song was Robbins' eleventh number one on the U.S. country singles chart, where it spent one week at the top and a total of nineteen weeks on the chart.
Lightfoot's own version was released as single in 1965 and included in his 1966 debut album Lightfoot! and again for his 1975 compilation album Gord's Gold. The latter recording features the song in a medley with "I'm Not Sayin'", as does the live recording from Lightfoot's 1969 Sunday Concert album.
Other cover versions
- In 1969, Connie Smith made the top 20 on the country chart with her version, peaking at #13.
- Crystal Gayle sang the song in her first television appearance. Video on YouTube
- Jack Scott 1950's rock 'n' roll legend has recorded the song in 2013 to be released on his new album.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||3|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||13|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||1|
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 294.
- Wayne Francis. "Gordon Lightfoot 60's Singles". Lightfoot.ca. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 320.
- "Marty Robbins – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Marty Robbins.
- "Marty Robbins – Chart history" Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 for Marty Robbins.
- Illegal name entered Connie Smith/Connie+Smith/chart?f=357 "Connie Smith – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Connie Smith.
"What's He Doing in My World"
by Eddy Arnold
|Billboard Hot Country Singles number-one single
(Marty Robbins version)
June 19, 1965
"Before You Go"
by Buck Owens
by Lucille Starr
|RPM Country Tracks number-one single
(Connie Smith version)
June 23, 1969
"Singing My Song"
by Tammy Wynette
|This 1960s country song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|