Ribeira Grande, Cape Verde
View of Ribeira Grande town and stream
|Civil parish||Nossa Senhora do Rosário|
|Elevation||31 m (102 ft)|
Ribeira Grande (also: Povoação) is the largest town of the Ribeira Grande Municipality on the island of Santo Antão, Cape Verde. It has become a city in 2010. In 2010 its population was 2,564. It is situated in the northeastern part of the island, near the outflow of the river Ribeira Grande and its tributary Ribeira da Torre into the Atlantic Ocean. Neighborhoods include Tarrafal, Rua de Agua, Rua d'Horta and Penha de França.
Although the island was already discovered in 1462, the first evidence of settlement dates from 1548. The main settlement was Ribeira Grande, which became the seat of the municipality of Santo Antão in 1732.
Its earlier buildings are built with Portuguese colonial architecture. The church of Nossa Senhora do Rosário is the parish church.
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 24 November 2016.
- Cabo Verde, Statistical Yearbook 2015, Instituto Nacional de Estatística, p. 32-33
- Evolução histórica do concelho do Porto Novo, Andreza Costa Dias, 2006, p. 8-12
- "2010 Census results" (in Portuguese). Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde. Archived from the original on 9 April 2014. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Carlos Ferrão, Estudos sobre a Ilha de Santo Antão (Studies on the Island of Santo Antão), Imprensa Nacional, Lisbonne, 1898, 116 pages (in Portuguese)