Ribeira Grande, Cape Verde (municipality)
Municipal hall of Ribeira Grande in Ponta do Sol
|Seat||Ponta do Sol|
|• Total||166.5 km2 (64.3 sq mi)|
|• Density||120/km2 (300/sq mi)|
Ribeira Grande is a concelho (municipality) of Cape Verde. Situated in the northern part of the island of Santo Antão, it covers one fifth of the island area, and is home to nearly half of its population. Its seat is the town Ponta do Sol. Its current president is Orlando Delgado (MpD) who was first elected in 2008.
The municipality consists of four freguesias (civil parishes):
|Population of Ribeira Grande, Cape Verde (municipality) (1940—2010)|
The municipality is unique for having its rugged landscape throughout the municipality and has slopey terrains across, farmlands and agricultural areas are even in these areas and contains drip irrigation, they are also founded in the lower areas which are tiny in size and within the rivers. Bordering Paul is another example. The southern portions has become heavily reforested. Notable valleys in the municipality which is north of the island are Ribeira Grande which is the dominant etymology to the name of the municipality with its basin being the municipality's largest and one of the largest on the island, another are Ribeira da Torre and Ribeira da Garça. Its northern shore are predominantly surrounded by cliff features with the least dominant within the town of Ribeira Grande (Tarrafal) and Ponta do Sol., the road linking Ponta do Sol and Paul runs within the Atlantic. The municipality also has protected areas, the notable one being Cova-Ribeira da Torre-Paul Natural Park which covers the southeast and eastern portion, being Cova and Ribeira da Torre with the exception of the northeast part. Another is Moroços where Gudo de Cavaleiro, the island's third tallest summit is located and includes the park's entirety.
The south of the municipality has recently became a forest once more while scrubs dominate other parts of small parts of the mountains, but its steep slopes in the west remains predominantly barren.
The Municipality of Ribeira Grande is one of the oldest administrative divisions in Cape Verde. By the end of the 19th century it merged with the older Municipality of Paul, becoming the two the Municipality of Santo Antão. In 1971 the Municipality of Santo Antão was redivided in 3 municipalities: Ribeira Grande, Paul and Porto Novo.
Its main road is the one linking Ponta do Sol and Paul which runs within the north of the Atlantic, being the EN1-SA01 (within Ponta do Sol being the EN2-SA01). The second main roads are Estrada da Corda (EN1-SA02) which served traffic between the north and the south of the island until 2009 and the road running along Ribeira Grande (EN3-SA02). The lesser roads are one running along Ribeira da Torre (EN3-SA02) and Corda-Lagoinha/Espadanha. The municipality once had the island's airport named Agostinho Neto, high winds shut it down in March 2007. Ponta do Sol also has a fishing port which was the main port for most of the island, notably the east until 1962.
- Jorge Pedro Mauricio dos Santos - in the 2000s
- Orlando Delgado (in 2012)
Since 2008, the Movement for Democracy is the ruling party, they take the assembly and the chamber seats, Mpd has 11 in the assembly and 7 in the chamber. Up to 2008, the municipal party, Grupo Democrática Ribeira Grande (GDRG), the Ribeira Grande Democratic Group was in power.
|Movement for Democracy||-||-||64||-||58.9||11|
|Movement for Democracy||-||-||67.2||7||60.4||7|
- António do Espírito Santo Fonseca, president of the National Assembly from 1996 to 2001
- Gabriel Mariano, Capeverdean essayist, novelist & poet
- Manuel de Novas, Capeverdean poet
It has one of the island's two hospitals named João Morais and covers the north of the island.
Each year, the Ribeira Grande Municipal Cup takes place each year in the months of September and October. The competition features teams from the municipality.
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 24 November 2016.
- Source: Statoids
- Source: Instituto Nacional de Estatísticas Archived 2008-11-18 at the Wayback Machine..
- "2010 Census results Santo Antão". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 23 March 2014. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.
- "Santo Antão: Barragem de Canto de Cagarra foi inaugurada hoje" [Canto de Cagarra Dam to be Completed Today]. Inforpress (in Portuguese). 15 November 2014. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- Abbreviation of Grupo Democrática de Ribeira Grande, the Ribeira Grande Democratic Group
- Official website (in Portuguese)
- ANMCV (Associação Nacional dos Municípios Cabo-Verdianos - National Association of the Capeverdean Municipalities)
- Interview with the president of the Municipal Council of Ribeira Grande Orlando Delgado - Olhos de Zepra (in Portuguese)