Ribeira da Barca
|Ribeira da Barca|
|Civil parish||Santa Catarina|
Ribeira da Barca is a village in the municipality of Santa Catarina. The settlement is named after a small stream nearby. Its 2010 population was 2,317 making it the second most populated in the municipality and the ninth most populated places on the island. Situated in the western part of the island of Santiago, Cape Verde. It is situated on the west coast, 11 km northwest of Assomada. It is connected with the road connecting at Achada Lem with the Assomada-Tarrafal Route and passing north of the Saquinho Reservoir.
The agricultural sector, especially fishing and the cultivation of sugar canes, is predominant. Tourism is of increasing importance.
It was acted as a municipal seat of Santa Catarina in 1845.
Ribeira da Barca was affected by the famine in 1947, many people left to São Tome and Príncipe, at the time another Portuguese colony and outside the then Empire including Dakar, Senegal and parts of western Europe.
- António Mascarenhas, former president of the Republic of Cabo Verde
- João Baptista Freire - agronomist and former president of the chamber of the municipality of Santa Catarina
- Pedro Freire, professional judge
- Suzanna Lubrano, singer currently residing in Rotterdam in the Netherlands
- Tcheka or Txeca Andrade, musician
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 17 March 2014.
- Jacques-Nicolas Bellin; Pieter de Hondt (1747). "Carte des Isles du Cap Verd = Kaart van de Eilanden van Kabo Verde" (in French).
- Vieira, Henrique Lubrano de Santa Rita (1993). A Vila de Assomada. Associação dos Amigos do Concelho de Santa Catarina.