|Ribes sanguineum var. sanguineum (Deception Pass State Park, Washington)|
Ribes sanguineum (flowering currant or red-flowering currant) is North American a species of flowering plant in the family Grossulariaceae, native to western United States and Canada (British Columbia, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, California).
It is a deciduous shrub growing to 2 m (7 ft) tall and broad. The bark is dark brownish-grey with prominent paler brown lenticels. The leaves are 2–7 cm (0.8-2.8 inches) long and broad, palmately lobed with five lobes; when young in spring, they have a strong resinous scent. The flowers are produced in early spring at the same time as the leaves emerge, on dangling racemes 3–7 cm (1.2-2.8 inches) long of 5–30 flowers; each flower is 5–10 mm (2-4 inches) in diameter, with five red or pink petals. The fruit is a dark purple oval berry about 1 cm (0.4 inch) long, edible but with an insipid taste.
Ribes sanguineum was introduced into cultivation by 19th century Scottish botanist David Douglas. It and its varieties and cultivars are popular garden shrubs, valued for their brightly colored and scented flowers in early spring, and birds and habitat support.
Numerous cultivars have been selected with flowers ranging from white to dark red.
- var. glutinosum
- var. sanguineum
A cultivar in Somerset
- The Plant List, Ribes sanguineum Pursh
- Calflora taxon report, University of California: Ribes sanguineum
- Plants of British Columbia: Ribes sanguineum
- Biota of North America Program 2014 county distribution map
- Turner Photographics, Ribes sanguineum - Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest includes photos, description, partial distribution map
- RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 1405332964.
- "Ribes sanguineum". CalFlora. Retrieved 5 January 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ribes sanguineum.|
- Jepson Flora Project: Ribes sanguineum
- United States Department of Agriculture Plants profile
- Las Pilitas Nursery horticultural treatment: Ribes sanguineum glutinosum, Pink-Flowered Currant
- Ribes sanguineum — Calphotos Photo gallery, University of California
|This Saxifragales-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|