Ribnica na Pohorju
|Ribnica na Pohorju
Občina Ribnica na Pohorju
|Settlement and Municipality|
Pohorje Hills near Ribnica
Location of the Municipality of Ribnica na Pohorju in Slovenia
|• Mayor||Srečko Geč|
|• Total||59.3 km2 (22.9 sq mi)|
|• Density||21/km2 (55/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+01)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+02)|
Ribnica na Pohorju (pronounced [ˈɾiːbnitsa na ˈpoːxɔɾju]) is a settlement and a municipality in northern Slovenia. It lies in the Pohorje Hills west of Maribor. The area was part of the traditional region of Styria. It is now included in the Carinthia Statistical Region.
Ribnica was attested in written sources in 1266 as Reyvinich (and as Reivinich and Reyvenz in 1283, and Reiffnik in 1319). The name was originally a hydronym derived from the common noun riba 'fish', thus referring to a stream with many fish and, by extension, a settlement along such a stream. The village was known as Reifnigg in German.
The parish church in the settlement is dedicated to Saint Bartholomew and belongs to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Maribor. It was first mentioned in written documents dating to 1356. The current building dates to around 1740. A second church near the settlement's main cemetery is dedicated to Saint Leonard and dates to the 15th century with 18th-century additions.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia, census of 2002
- Ribnica na Pohorju municipal site
- Snoj, Marko. 2009. Etimološki slovar slovenskih zemljepisnih imen. Ljubljana: Modrijan and Založba ZRC, p. 354.
- Klein, Die postalischen Abstempelungen, 1967.
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage Archived July 12, 2010, on Wayback Machine. reference number ešd 3119
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage Archived July 12, 2010, on Wayback Machine. reference number ešd 3321
|This article about the Municipality of Ribnica na Pohorju in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|