|Occupation||sound effects producer, sound designer, film director, screenwriter, and author|
Viers began his career as a freelancer in 1997 providing location sound services for companies like ESPN, Disney, Universal Studios, as well as shows like Dateline, Good Morning America and The Today Show. In 1999 he began creating sound effects libraries for companies like Sound Ideas, The Hollywood Edge and Video Helper. He has provided sound effects for companies such as Apple, Sony, and Adobe, which have included his work as bundled sound effects in their software product lines. His work appears under many titles and pseudonyms such as Blastwave FX, The Detroit Chop Shop Sound Effects Library, The Sound Effects Bible Library, Dr. Sound Effects and others.
Viers founded the Detroit Chop Shop, a post-sound production facility located in Macomb, Michigan. In 2007, Viers released his 100th sound effects library and founded Blastwave FX, a high definition sound effects publishing company, producing nearly 50,000 sound effects within the first five years. Viers is the world's largest independent producer of professional sound effects libraries for the movie, television, radio, and video game industries, with over 250,000 sound effects and more than 670 sound effects products by 2016.
Viers published two books with Michael Wiese Productions, The Sound Effects Bible (2008) and The Location Sound Bible (2012).
In 2009, Viers became a spokesperson for Rode Microphones, producing video tutorials for the company's Rode University website; highlighting Rode's broadcast microphones. He was a spokesperson for Sony Creative Software until the company’s software product line was sold to Magix in 2016. Other sponsors include TASCAM, Direct Sound, iZotope and Soundminer. He is a frequent special guest speaker at film festivals, schools, universities and conventions.
In 2011, Viers's studio launched a web series on The Sound Effects Bible's YouTube Channel called "The Detroit Chop Shop Video Diaries" which documents the work of Viers and his team. As of 2016, the show’s sponsors have donated over $250,000 in gear, software and sound effects to the interns at the Detroit Chop Shop.
In 2012, Viers began releasing a new line of themed sound effects libraries such as the zombie apocalypse, comic book heroes, haunted houses and action movies. Artwork for the collections featured the work of Lucasfilm artists Matt Busch, Lin Zy and special effects Make Up Artist Dan Phillips from the reality show Face Off.
In 2016, Viers launched the website SoundEffects.Com in an effort to give sound effects enthusiasts a platform to learn how to create and sell sound effects.
Sound Effects Libraries
The following is a limited discography of Viers's work. Credits range from producer, sound designer to partial contributor.
- Action Movie Sound Effects Library - Blastwave FX
- App FX - Blastwave FX
- Blastdrive - Blastwave FX
- Haunted FX - Blastwave FX
- Heroes & Villains - Blastwave FX
- Sonopedia - Blastwave FX
- Titlewave - Blastwave FX
- wav FX - Blastwave FX
- Zombie Apocalypse - Blastwave FX
- Sound FX Volumes 1-4 - Digital Juice
- The Detroit Chop Shop Sound Effects Series - Sony
- Crash and Burn - Sound Ideas
- Dark Side Of Sound - Sound Ideas
- Impact Effects 1 & 2 - Sound Ideas
- The General Extensions III & IV - Sound Ideas
- Hyperspace - The Hollywood Edge
- Sonic Energy - The Hollywood Edge
- The High Impact Series - The Hollywood Edge
- The Guns of Cinema - The Serafine Collection
- Modules II - Video Helper
- Noise Generator: Slam, Bang Boom - Video Helper
- Noise Generator: Transitions - Video Helper
- The Sound Effects Bible (2008)
- The Location Sound Bible (2012)
- Joy Road (2004) Sound Recordist
- Life Goes On (2007) Sound
- Stick It in Detroit (2008) Sound Designer
- Off The Record (2016) Writer, Actor
- Aladdin 3477 (2018) Sound Recordist
- Beyond the Glory (2001-2003) Sound Recordist
- City Confidential (2001) Sound Recordist
- Medical Mysteries (2000) Sound Recordist
- Walsh, Kevin (23 December 2014). ""God, I Love My Job!" Welcoming Mistakes and Exploding Stuff: The Life of Sound Effects Guru -- Ric Viers". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Ric Viers, The Master of Sound Effects". Animation World Network. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Ric Viers Bipography". Official website. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Ric Viers interview". Audio Spotlight. 5 December 2012. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "The Detroit Chop Shop Video Diaries". Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Creating Sound Effects, with Ric Viers". Audio Drama Production Podcast. Audio drama. 17 October 2014. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Larry Jordan Interviews Ric Viers". Larry Jordan. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "List of Books written by Ric Viers". www.ricviers.com. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Sony Creative Software - Showcase - Home" (in jp). Sony Creative Software. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Ric Viers Inducted In The Full Sail Hall Of Fame". Pro Sound Effects. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Post Magazine - GUERRILLA TELEVISION". Post Magazine. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Full Sail University Hall of Fame list". Full Sail University. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- Article By Ric Viers for School Video News
- Interview with Sony Creative
- Interview on Schooltube.com
- NAB 2009 Podcast Interview
- Soundsnap.com Press Release
- The Sound Effects Bible Post Magazine Review
- Post Magazine Interview
- Rode Microphone's Rode University
- Full Sail film school article
- Blog interview
- Soundscalpel interview