1961 (age 56–57)|
|Alma mater||University of Waterloo|
University of Chile|
Pompeu Fabra University
|Doctoral advisor||Gaston Gonnet|
|Doctoral students||Gonzalo Navarro, Carlos Castillo, Barbara Poblete, Luz Rello, Diego Saez-Trumper, Lorena Recalde, Maria Rauschenberger|
Ricardo A. Baeza-Yates (born March 21, 1961) is a Chilean-Spanish computer scientist and currently CTO of NTENT, a semantic search company in South California. Until February 2016, he was VP of Research for Yahoo! Labs, leading teams in United States, Europe and Latin America.
His research interests include:
- Algorithms and data structures. His contributions include algorithms for string search such as the Shift Or Algorithm and algorithms for Fuzzy string searching, inspiring also the Bitap algorithm ; co-author of the Handbook of Algorithms and Data Structures ISBN 0-201-14218-X with his former Ph.D. advisor Gaston Gonnet,
- Information retrieval. Co-author of Modern Information retrieval Addison Wesley, ISBN 0-201-39829-X, first edition in 1999 and a second edition in 2011 that won the 2012 book of the year award of the Association for Information Science and Technology.
- Web search and mining. Baeza-Yates funded in 2002 and directed until 2005 the Center for Web Research in the Department of Computer Science of the University of Chile,
- Information visualization
Dr. Baeza-Yates was awarded the J.W. Graham Medal in Computing and Innovation in 2007. In August 2008, Dr. Baeza-Yates was proposed for the Chilean National Prize in Applied Sciences (Premio Nacional de Ciencias Aplicadas) He was proposed again in 2010 and 2012. He is corresponding member of the Chilean Academy of Sciences (2003) and founding member of the Chilean Academy of Engineering (2010). He is a fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (2009). and an IEEE Fellow (2011).
- "Former Yahoo! Chief Research Scientist Joins NTENT". Business Wire. 7 July 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Baker, Loren (23 January 2006). "Dr. Ricardo Baeza-Yates Leading Yahoo Labs in Chile & Spain". Search Engine Journal. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Ricardo A. Baeza-Yates at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "dblp: Ricardo A. Baeza-Yates". DBLP Computer Science Bibliography. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Baeza-Yates, Ricardo; Gonnet, Gaston (1992). "A New Approach to Text Searching". Communications of ACM (first published at SIGIR 1989).
- "ASIS&T Book of the Year award winners". Association for Information Science and Technology. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Member profile, Chilean Academy of Sciences, retrieved 2013-02-14.
- ACM Fellow award citation, retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Introducing the 2011 Fellows: The IEEE Fellows class for 2011 has been announced", the Institute, IEEE, 7 March 2011, archived from the original on 26 September 2013.
- News of the three 2018 national computer science awards of the Spanish CS Socierty
- Personal website: www.baeza.cl
- LinkedIn profile
- Publications in Google Scholar
- Publications in DBLP
- Cómo funciona la web (2008) Full text in the Electronic Books Portal of the University of Chile
|This article about a Chilean scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|