Ricardo Antonio Chavira
|Ricardo Antonio Chavira|
Chavira in Monte Carlo, 2005
September 1, 1971 |
Austin, Texas, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Marcea Dietzel (m. 2007)|
Chavira was born in Austin, Texas, the son of a Bexar County judge, Juan Antonio Chavira. Raised in San Antonio, he graduated from Robert E. Lee High School and the University of the Incarnate Word. He is a '00 UC San Diego Alumnus and received his Master of Fine Arts in Acting from the University of California San Diego's Professional Actor Training Program in 2000, and moved to Los Angeles shortly thereafter. Since then, he has worked in film, television and theatre.
Television credits prior to Desperate Housewives include a series regular role on The Grubbs, recurring roles on Six Feet Under and The Division, and guest-starring roles on Joan of Arcadia, Kingpin, Monk, 24 and JAG, as well as NYPD Blue and two other Steven Bochco series, Philly and City of Angels. He also guest starred on ABC's George Lopez. Following Desperate Housewives, Chavira guest-starred on two Season 7 episodes of Burn Notice in 2013, playing crime leader Rafael Serrano.
Chavira starred in a production of Tracers at the Odyssey Theatre in Los Angeles, and also starred in a co-production of Living Out. He played Stanley Kowalski in the Guthrie Theater's production of Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire, from July 3 to August 21 of 2010 in Minneapolis. His film credits include The Alamo and Piranha 3D. He also had voice roles as Alejandro Borges in the film Dead Space: Aftermath and as John Carver in the video game Dead Space 3.
Chavira guest starred in the Castle episode "At Close Range." He played Alex Lopez.
From 2016 to 2017, Chavira had recurring roles on ABC’s Scandal during the fifth and sixth seasons as Governor Franciso “Frankie” Vargas and on The CW’s Jane the Virgin during the third season as Bruce.
Chavira is a supporter of breast cancer research as his mother, Elizabeth Ries Chavira, died of breast and ovarian cancer when she was 43 years old. Chavira is San Antonio's honorary spokesman for the charity Susan G. Komen for the Cure, and last June served as the National Team Captain for the Race for the Cure in Washington, D.C. Chavira and James Denton were the 2005 spokespeople for the Lee National Denim Day breast cancer fundraiser.
- Jakle, Jeanne (18 May 2004). "S.A.-born actors drawing notice on air, in print". San Antonio Express-News.
- "Ricardo Antonio Chavira to Star in Guthrie's A Streetcar Named Desire". theatermania.com. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- Ricardo Chavira To Star In NBC’s ‘Welcome To The Family’, ‘Jacked Up’ Adds Actress Andreeva, Nellie at deadline.com on March 5, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (9 May 2016). "Ricardo Chavira Cast In 'Santa Clarita Diet' Netflix Comedy Series". deadline.com. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- ""Desperate" Men Raise $8.5 Million in 2005!". Susan G. Komen for the Cure. 2005. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved November 23, 2017.
- Elliott, Stuart (August 24, 2005). "'Housewives' Is a Big Hit on Madison Ave., Too". The New York Times. Retrieved November 23, 2017.