Ricardo Larrivée CM (born 1967), also known as Ricardo, is a television host and a food writer who lives in Quebec, Canada. He hosts Ricardo on Radio-Canada and previously hosted Ricardo and Friends which aired on Food Network Canada.
Early life and education
In the 1980s, Ricardo enrolled in the Institut de tourisme et d'hôtellerie du Québec (ITHQ), a hospitality institute in Quebec, where he studied hotel management. He studied communications in Ottawa.
Larrivée moved to Regina, Saskatchewan and accepted a job as a technician at Radio-Canada. He created both simple and elaborate dishes in his spare time, and gained a reputation as a good cook. He was hired to present a food show on Radio-Canada. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation was experiencing lay-offs, however, and Larrivée was one of those let go.
Larrivée moved back to Montreal and had the opportunity to share his recipes while working as a food reporter for television, radio, and newspapers. At Radio-Canada, he contributed to several television shows, including Menu a la carte, Pêché mignon, Secrets de famille, Indicatif présent, Christiane Charrette, and Beau temps pour s'étendre, in addition to appearing on Saisons de Clodine on the TVA television network. He also wrote a column in the lifestyle section the daily newspaper La Presse.
In 2002, Larrivée created a new TV show, Ricardo, with an accompanying magazine. In its third season the show was the highest rated TV morning show on Radio-Canada. The magazine is published five times a year in a print run of about 80,000 copies for each issue.
Larrivée published a book, Ma cuisine week-end, in the autumn of 2004, which went into a second printing for a total of 65,000 copies.
Larrivée and his wife, Brigitte Coutu, operate a company headquartered in Saint-Lambert where recipes are tested and the magazines are created.
Larrivée operates a restaurant in Montreal.
|2006-2009||Ricardo and Friends||Host|
|2008||Twas the Night Before Dinner Christmas Special||Himself||Christmas special with Bob Blumer, Anthony Sedlak, Laura Calder, and Anna Olson|
|2009||The Great Food Revolution||Himself||Episode: "The Great Food Revolution"|
- Mon premier livre de recettes (La Presse, 2015, ISBN 978-2-89705-448-9)
- Ricardo - Parce qu'on a tous de la visite (La Presse, October 2008, ISBN 2-923194-96-9, ISBN 9782923194967)
- La chimie des desserts: 60 recettes de Ricardo PER Christina Blais (La Presse, 2007, ISBN 2-923194-36-5, ISBN 978-2-923194-36-3)
- Ma cuisine weekend (La Presse August 5, 2004 ISBN 2-923194-05-5, ISBN 978-2-923194-05-9)
- Weekend Cooking co-wrote with Christian LaCroix (Whitecap Books April 5, 2006 ISBN 1-55285-787-5, ISBN 978-1-55285-787-8)
- "Ricardo Set To Cross The Two Foodie Solitudes". Straight.com. November 30, 2011. Retrieved 2008-03-11.
- "Celebrity chef Ricardo cooking up an empire ". Toronto Star, Zoe McKnight, March 13, 2016
- "Special Features - Chef Ricardo Larrivée". City Life Magazine. October–November 2007. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- "Order of Canada Appointments". June 30, 2014. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "Why Ricardo loves the slow cooker". Toronto Star, November 9, 2016, page E4. Karon Liu.