Ricardo Medina Jr.
Ricardo Medina Jr.
|Born||July 6, 1977|
Kern County, California, U.S.
|Other names||Rick Medina|
|Known for||Power Rangers Wild Force |
Power Rangers Samurai
|Criminal charge(s)||Voluntary manslaughter|
|Criminal penalty||6 years in prison|
Ricardo Medina Jr. (often referred to as Rick Medina; born July 6, 1977), is an American former actor. He is best known for his role as Cole Evans, the Red Wild Force Ranger, on the TV series Power Rangers Wild Force, and later as Deker, the Half-Human cursed Nighlok in Power Rangers Samurai. He is currently in prison for the voluntary manslaughter of his roommate.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2019)
|2002||Power Rangers Wild Force||Cole Evans / Red Wild Force Ranger||40 episodes|
|2003||ER||Aidan Fenwick||Episode: "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"|
|2004||CSI: Miami||Lance||Episode: "Money for Nothing"|
|2005||Kept||Contestant (Eliminated 5th)|
|2005||Confessions of a Pit Fighter||David Castillo|
|2007||Witchcraft||Jack Bell / Drion|
|2011–2012||Power Rangers Samurai / Power Rangers Super Samurai||Deker||24 episodes|
Killing of Joshua Sutter and conviction
On February 1, 2015, Medina was arrested after he allegedly stabbed to death his 38-year-old roommate, Joshua Sutter, on January 31. Sutter had been stabbed in the abdomen with a medieval "Conan the Barbarian" sword at a home in Green Valley, west of Palmdale, California. Medina called emergency services, and Sutter was pronounced dead upon arrival at a hospital. Medina was initially held on $1 million bail, but no charges were filed against him from the district attorney due to requests on further investigation so he was released on February 3, 2015. Medina claimed that he stabbed Sutter in self-defense after Sutter forced open the door of Medina's bedroom, into which Medina and his girlfriend had retreated after an argument between Medina and Sutter. Medina had lived in the home in Green Valley for approximately two months.
On January 14, 2016, he was arrested again on murder charges in connection with Sutter's death. At that time, Medina faced a possible sentence of life imprisonment with a chance of parole after 26 years with prosecutors planning to ask that Medina be held on $1 million bail. On March 16, 2017, Medina pled guilty to one felony count of voluntary manslaughter. On March 30, 2017, Medina was sentenced to the maximum 6 years in prison.
- "Interview with Rick Medina". August 26, 2012. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- "Former 'Power Rangers' Actor Arrested For Murder".
- Stallworth, Leo (February 3, 2015). "Ex-Power Ranger released from jail after no charges filed; DA requests further investigation". Eyewitness News - ABC7.
- "Power Rangers Samurai Star Ricardo Medina Jr. Arrested For Stabbing Roommate to Death With Sword: Report". US Magazine. February 1, 2015. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- Taylor, Kellu (February 1, 2015). "'Power Rangers' Actor Accused Of Fatally Stabbing Roommate With Sword". My FOX LA. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- Parkinson, Hannah Jane (February 2, 2015). "Red Power Ranger actor charged with murdering roommate with sword". The Guardian. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- Pamer, Melissa; Wynter, Kareen (January 14, 2016). "'Power Rangers' Actor Charged With Murder in Sword-Stabbing Death of Roommate: DA". KTLA. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- Suter, Leanne (February 1, 2015). "FORMER POWER RANGER FATALLY STABS ROOMMATE WITH SWORD IN GREEN VALLEY, LASD CONFIRMS". ABC 7. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- Brucculieri, Julia (January 14, 2016). "Former 'Power Rangers' Star Ricardo Medina Jr. Charged With Murder". Huffington Post. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Stedman, Alex (January 14, 2016). "'Power Rangers' star Ricardo Medina charged with murder". Fox News. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Former 'Power Rangers' Star Ricardo Medina Jr. Charged With Murder". The Huffington Post. January 14, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Ex 'Power Ranger' Ricardo Medina charged with murder in roommate's stabbing". Fox News Latino. January 14, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Ex-Power Ranger Ricardo Medina is sentenced to six years for killing his roommate". BBC Newsbeat. March 31, 2017. Retrieved March 31, 2017.