Nunes playing for Žilina in 2012
|Full name||Ricardo Nuno dos Santos Nunes|
|Date of birth||18 June 1986|
|Place of birth||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19 March 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 00:00, 9 June 2013 (UTC)
The son of Portuguese parents, Nunes was born in Johannesburg, South Africa, and returned to the country of his ancestors where he started playing football. He first represented G.D. Estoril Praia, joining the club at the age of 12.
After unsuccessfully emerging through S.L. Benfica's youth system – he only represented its reserves, spending the 2005–06 campaign in the third division – Nunes continued playing as a senior in the lower leagues of Greece and Cyprus. It was in the latter country where he had his first taste of top flight football, appearing in the Cypriot First Division for AEP Paphos F.C. and Olympiakos Nicosia.
On 31 January 2012, after playing one-and-a-half seasons in the Portuguese second level, Nunes signed a two-and-a-half-year contract with MŠK Žilina. In February 2014 he moved clubs and countries again, joining Bulgaria's PFC Levski Sofia until June 2015.
Although Nunes was born in South Africa, he represented Portugal at under-17 level. This meant that he required permission from FIFA before he could switch allegiances to South Africa, after he had spoken with Gordon Igesund: "Coach Gordon Igesund phoned me [last month] and asked me if I would be interested to play for South Africa. My answer immediately was yes", he said.
In early October 2012, Nunes was named in the South Africa squad for friendlies against Poland and Kenya. During this announcement, Igesund said that "Nunes is a very exciting player" and that he is "a specialist free-kick taker"; he made his debut on the 12th against the former opponent, a 0–1 loss in Warsaw.
- Ricardo Nunez hráčom MŠK Žilina (Ricardo Nunez [sic] a MŠK Žilina player); MŠK Žilina, 31 January 2011 (Slovak)
- "Пореден скандал на "Герена", Сухия и Йовов не искали Нунеш" (in Bulgarian). Top Sport. 21 February 2014. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Nunes is itching to turn out in his Bafana colours". Sport Live. 28 September 2012. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Igesund's travelling Bafana squad". Soccer Laduma. 2 October 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Igesund: Nunes is an exciting player". Kickoff. 2 October 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Nunes happy with debut". Super Sport. 13 October 2012. Retrieved 21 October 2012.