Rice County Courthouse and Jail
Rice County Courthouse
The Rice County Courthouse from the south
|Location||218 3rd Street NW, Faribault, Minnesota|
|Area||5 acres (2.0 ha)|
|Architect||Nairne W. Fisher (courthouse), Albert Schippel (jail)|
|Architectural style||Art Deco (courthouse), Richardsonian Romanesque (jail)|
|MPS||Rice County MRA|
|NRHP Reference #||82003016|
The Rice County Courthouse, located at 218 3rd Street NW in Faribault, Rice County, in the U.S. state of Minnesota, is an Art Deco building constructed of natural-face Faribault stone horizontally banded at intervals with sawed-faced stone. Nairne W. Fisher of St. Cloud was the architect for the courthouse, and is also credited with designing the Pope County Courthouse. The main rotunda has metal fixtures and Art Deco glass. Polished black and gray Tennessee marble is used extensively in the walls, floors, and stairs, with a terrazzo map of Rice County centered on the floor. The 16-foot-high (4.9 m) courtroom on the third floor was finished with fine-grained walnut walls with matching custom-built furnishings. The building was built in 1934 at a cost of $200,000.
A guidebook to Minnesota architecture described the courthouse building as "A near-perfect mixture of the classical and the Zigzag Moderne. Relief sculpture on the sides of the building along 4th and 3rd Streets extols civic virtue, industry and farming. Within, a central rotunda is approached by a Zigzag Moderne staircase; Moderne metal and glass light fixtures abound."
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "National Register of Historic Places". www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com. Retrieved 2009-01-17.
- "Rice County Courthouse". Minnesota Judicial Branch. Retrieved 2009-01-17.
- Rice County Minnesota, County History. See photos of early 1930s courthouse construction.
- David Gebhard, Tom Martinson, "A Guide to the Architecture of Minnesota", University of Minnesota Press, 1978, page 271.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rice County Courthouse (Minnesota).|