|47 kcal (197 kJ)|
|Glycemic index||86 (high)|
Rice milk is a grain milk made from rice. It is mostly made from brown rice and commonly unsweetened. The sweetness in most rice milk varieties is generated by a natural enzymatic process that cleaves the carbohydrates into sugars, especially glucose, similar to the Japanese amazake. Some rice milks may nevertheless be sweetened with sugarcane syrup or other sugars.
Comparison to dairy milk
Compared to cow's milk, rice milk contains more carbohydrates, but does not contain significant amounts of calcium or protein, and no cholesterol or lactose. Commercial brands of rice milk are often fortified with vitamins and minerals, including calcium, vitamin B12, vitamin B3, and iron. It has a glycemic index of 86±7 compared to 37±4 for skim milk and 39±3 for whole milk.
Commercial brands of rice milk are available in vanilla, chocolate, and almond flavors, as well as the original unflavored form, and can be used in many recipes as an alternative to traditional cow milk.
Rice milk is made by pressing the rice through a mill using diffusion to strain out the pressed grains. It is sometimes also made at home using rice flour and brown rice protein, or by boiling brown rice with a large volume of water, blending and straining the mixture. Recipes are available on the Internet, including the cookbook at Wikibooks.
- Robertson, Robin; Ryan, Nancy Ross (February 2000). "Got soy, almond, rice Milk?". Vegetarian Times (270): 78. (Registration required (. ))
- "Beverages, rice milk, unsweetened", United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service.
- "Milk, whole, 3.25% milkfat, with added vitamin D", United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service.
- Atkinson, Fiona S.; Foster-Powell, Kaye; Brand-Miller, Jennie C. (2008-12-01). "International Tables of Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Values: 2008". Diabetes Care. 31 (12): 2281–2283. doi:10.2337/dc08-1239. ISSN 0149-5992. PMC . PMID 18835944.
- Jolinda Hackett (2016-03-29). "What are some good vegan substitutes for milk?". About.com.
- Karen Joy (2009-07-27). "Healthy, creamy, yummy rice milk recipe".