Rich Mix Cultural Foundation
Rich Mix is a cinema and cross-arts centre located in the East End of London, located in Bethnal Green in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, England. Once a vast leather factory, 62,000 square foot building was transformed into a multi-arts venue, which has offered free arts & culture events to over 35,000 people in this past year. Stretched over five floors, the building contains a three-screen cinema showing the latest mainstream and independent films, and a multitude of flexible performance spaces, where both emerging and established artists are welcome to rehearse and perform. Rich Mix also house 20 creative organisations with a combined turnover of over £23,000,000 per year, employing over 320 people across a wide range of businesses.
The building housed a leather factory until the 2000s, when tens of millions of pounds were spent knocking it down and building it up again to become Rich Mix, East London's Independent Arts Venue. This was widely reported in London newspapers and among the subjects of forensic accounting investigations by Delloitte, for London Assembly members, and then Price Waterhouse for the next Mayor.
Rich Mix objectives
- To advance public education in the history of migrant communities and their contributions to economic and cultural life, particularly by establishing the Rich Mix Centre as a home for exhibitions and by exhibiting items of educational value.
- To advance education of the public in art and culture.
- To work towards the elimination of racial discrimination and to promote equality of opportunity and good relations between persons of different racial groups.
- Oona King - "Waheed Alli to support development of Rich Mix, a £19m creative arts factory in East London"
- Rich Mix Cultural Foundation
- Charity Commission - Summary Information Return (SIR) Document for Rich Mix Cultural Foundation