Rich Square, North Carolina
|Rich Square, North Carolina|
Location of Rich Square, North Carolina
|• Total||2.8 sq mi (7.3 km2)|
|• Land||2.8 sq mi (7.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||69 ft (21 m)|
|• Density||330.6/sq mi (127.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1022271|
Rich Square is a town in Northampton County, North Carolina, United States of America (U.S.). The population was 958 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Rich Square is located at (36.273267, -77.284132).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.8 square miles (7.3 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 931 people, 395 households, and 259 families residing in the town. The population density was 330.6 people per square mile (127.5/km²). There were 441 housing units at an average density of 156.6 per square mile (60.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 42.75% White, 55.85% African American, 0.32% Native American, 0.54% from other races, and 0.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.07% of the population.
There were 395 households out of which 24.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.1% were married couples living together, 16.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.2% were non-families. 31.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 26.3% from 45 to 64, and 20.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 79.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 71.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $22,656, and the median income for a family was $30,000. Males had a median income of $27,083 versus $19,135 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,079. About 15.5% of families and 19.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.3% of those under age 18 and 22.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Colonel George V. Holloman, U.S. Army Air Corps avionics pioneer. Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico is named in his honor.
- Stu Martin, Major League Baseball player from 1936 to 1943.
- General Walter E. Boomer, U.S. Marine Corps.
- Charles Robert Jenkins. Deserted the U.S. Army in 1965 while on a DMZ patrol in South Korea for life in North Korea; now lives on the remote Japanese island of Sado.
- Shelia P. Moses, bestselling author.
Rich Square in the news
- Eric Talmadge. "Deserter Adjusting to Life on Japan Island". Associated Press. January 31, 2005.
- Richard Pyle. "World War II P-38 fighter discovered in Wales." Associated Press. November 14, 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rich Square, North Carolina.|
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.