Rich client platform
RCP is a software consisting of the following components:
- A core (microkernel), lifecycle manager
- A standard bundling framework
- A portable widget toolkit
- File buffers, text handling, text editors
- A workbench (views, editors, perspectives, wizards)
- Data binding
- Update manager
With a RCP, programmers can build their own applications on existing computing platforms. Instead of having to write a complete application from scratch, they can benefit from proven and tested features of the framework provided by the platform. Building on a platform facilitates faster application development and integration, while the cross-platform burden is taken on by the platform developers. The platform allows the seamless integration of independent software modules like graphic tools, spreadsheets and mapping technologies into a software application with a simple click of the mouse.
- "What Is a Rich Client Platform?". wiseGEEK. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "CHAPTER 1: Introduction > What Is a Rich Client Platform? - Pg. 3". Safari Books Online. Retrieved 2012-07-16.