Richard A. Betts
Richard A. Betts
Richard A. Betts is Head of the Climate Impacts strategic area at the Met Office Hadley Centre in Exeter, United Kingdom. He is also Chair in Climate Impacts at the University of Exeter and the Principal Investigator of the EU FP7 project HELIX (High-End cLimate Impacts and eXtremes). He was a lead author for Working Group I and a contributing author for Working Group II of the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report. He was a lead author for Working Group II of the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report. He is an editor for the International Journal of Global Warming, the Journal of Environmental Investing, and for Earth System Dynamics.
After studying physics at the University of Bristol, Betts switched to meteorology at the University of Birmingham and then studied for a doctorate in meteorology at the University of Reading. He is noted for engaging with critics of climate science on Twitter and was selected by TIME as one of the 140 best Twitter feeds of 2012.
- Science must end climate confusion Viewpoint for BBC news.
- Widening the climate conversation Soapbox Science.
- What is the evidence for changing variability in climates from year to year? Review commissioned by the UK Government’s Foresight Project, Migration and Global Environmental Change.
- Website for High-End cLimate Impacts and eXtremes
- "Dr Richard Betts". Met Office. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- Hickman, Leo (2012-03-29). "Met Office hosts 'conversations' with climate sceptics". The Guardian. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- Forster, P.; V. Ramaswamy; P. Artaxo; T. Berntsen; R. Betts; D.W. Fahey; J. Haywood; J. Lean; D.C. Lowe; G. Myhre; J. Nganga; R. Prinn; G. Raga; M. Schulz; R. Van Dorland (2007), Solomon, S.; Qin, D.; Manning, M.; Chen, Z.; Marquis, M.; Averyt, K.B.; Tignor, M.; Miller, H.L. (eds.), Changes in Atmospheric Constituents and in Radiative Forcing (PDF), Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 978-0-521-88009-1
- IPCC AR4 WG2 (2007), Parry, M.L.; Canziani, O.F.; Palutikof, J.P.; van der Linden, P.J.; Hanson, C.E. (eds.), Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability, Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 978-0-521-88010-7
- "IPCC Working Group II Contribution to the Fifth Assessment Report: Coordinating Lead Authors, Lead Authors, and Review Editors" (PDF). IPCC. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "International Journal of Global Warming (IJGW): Editors and Members of the Editorial Board". Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "Journal of Environmental Investing: People". Archived from the original on 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "Earth System Dynamics: Editorial and Advisory Board". Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- Townsend, Allie (2012-03-21). "The 140 Best Twitter Feeds of 2012". Time Techland. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|