|Cook County State's Attorney|
December 1, 1996 – December 1, 2008
|Preceded by||Jack O'Malley|
|Succeeded by||Anita Alvarez|
|Born||July 5, 1943|
|Alma mater||Loyola University Chicago (BA)|
Northwestern University (JD)
Early life and education
The second of five children, he was the son of a Chicago Water Department employee. Devine grew up in Rogers Park, Chicago, and played football and basketball at Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Illinois. He attended John Carroll University for one year on a football scholarship but returned home when his father's health worsened after a stroke. In 1966, Devine graduated from Loyola University Chicago with a Bachelor of Arts degree before earning a Juris Doctor from the Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law in 1968.
Devine worked as an aide to Chicago mayor Richard J. Daley in 1968 and 1969. Devine worked then as a legal advisor to Daley from 1969 to 1972. He then served as the first assistant state's attorney's office under Richard M. Daley from 1980 to 1983. He was President of the Chicago Park District from 1990 to 1993, and a member of the court-reform commission created in the wake of the Operation Greylord.
Devine was elected in 1996 as the Cook County State's Attorney, unseating incumbent Republican Jack O'Malley in an upset victory. He served for 12 years until 2008, when he did not seek re-election. He was succeeded by Anita Alvarez.
Devine appeared in Surviving R. Kelly, a 2019 Lifetime documentary series about sexual abuse allegations against musician R. Kelly. Though the 2008 trial of Kelly occurred at the end of Devine's tenure, he did not participate in the trial.
Devine has been married to Charlene Devine for over 50 years and they have four adult children.
- John R. Vile; David L. Hudson (18 December 2012). Encyclopedia of the Fourth Amendment. SAGE Publications. p. 211. ISBN 978-1-4522-3423-6.
- Christian, Sue Ellen; Kass, John (November 6, 1996). "DEVINE CREDITS WIN TO POLITICAL OPERATIVES". chicagotribune.com. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- Richard A. Devine - Of Counsel Cozen O'Connor
- Hanna, Janan (25 October 2000). "THIS TIME, ROOKIE STATE'S ATTORNEY CANDIDATE FACES LONG ODDS". chicagotribune.com. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "FOR STATE'S ATTORNEY: RICHARD DEVINE". chicagotribune.com. Chicago Tribune. October 28, 1996. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- Hinton, Rachel (19 March 2020). "Republicans: O'Brien has 'really decent chance' to oust Foxx in November". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- Ciokajlo, Mickey; Becker, Robert. "State's attorney race makes its best case". chicagotribune.com. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- "The Allegations Against R. Kelly: An Abridged History". NPR.org. Retrieved 2020-02-06.
- Ataiyero, Stacy St Clair and Kayce T. "Why the jury acquitted R. Kelly". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2020-02-06.