Richard A Neubauer
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Neubauer was born in Wilmington, Delaware, on January 16, 1924. He received his undergraduate education at the College of William and Mary, and his medical degree in 1947 at the University of Virginia. After first practicising in Wilmington and Philadelphia, he established a practice in internal medicine in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He was Chief of Staff and Director of Medical Development at the Cleveland Clinic there, which he had helped found under the earlier name of Beach Hospital.
Neubauer obtained a hyperbaric oxygen chamber in the early 1970s, and established and directed the Ocean Hyperbaric Neurologic Center in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida. He was an early user of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for multiple sclerosis, near drowning, cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, anoxic encephalopathy, coma, stroke, and the treatment of mitochondrial diseases in children.
His most cited scientific article is "Hyperbaric Oxygenation As An Adjunct Therapy In Strokes Due To Thrombosis - A Review Of 122 Patients" by Neubauer RA, End E, Stroke. 1980 May-Jun;11(3):297-300.
Neubauer was elected to the Royal Society of Medicine, and was a founder of the American College of Hyperbaric Medicine and a member of the World Federation of Neurology Executive Committee on Underwater Medicine.
- Neubauer RA (April 1985). "Hyperbaric oxygen for multiple sclerosis". The Lancet. 1 (8432): 810–1. doi:10.1016/s0140-6736(85)91460-6. PMID 2858678.
- Neubauer RA (June 2001). "Hyperbaric oxygenation for cerebral palsy". The Lancet. 357 (9273): 2052, author reply 2053. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(00)05136-9. PMID 11441857. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- Neubauer RA, Gottlieb SF (April 1993). "Hyperbaric oxygen for brain injury". Journal of Neurosurgery. 78 (4): 687–8. PMID 8450347.
- Neubauer, Richard A., and Morton Walker. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Garden City Park, N.Y.: Avery Pub. Group, 1998. ISBN 978-0-89529-759-4
- Neubauer, Richard A. Hyperbaric Oxygenation for Cerebral Palsy and the Brain-Injured Child: A Promising Treatment. Flagstaff, AZ: Best Pub. Co, 2002. ISBN 978-0-941332-99-6