This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alfieri in 1975
April 9, 1948 |
Florida, United States
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Occupation||Playwright, novelist, producer, actor|
A graduate of Yale University, Alfieri began his professional career in New York City, where he studied with Sanford Meisner at the Neighborhood Playhouse. His awards include two Writers Guild Awards and an Emmy nomination.
His play Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks opened on Broadway at the Belasco Theater. The play premiered in Los Angeles and has since been translated into 14 languages and opened in over 24 countries with productions in cities including Berlin, Sydney, Melbourne, Vienna, Madrid, Tokyo, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Amsterdam, Budapest, Helsinki, Prague, Istanbul, Hamburg, Munich, Athens, Seoul, and London. Alfieri has adapted Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks into a feature film which was released in 2014. In Australia, it was performed in 2006 by Todd McKenney and Nancye Hayes and became the most successful play in the Ensemble Theatre's 58-year history; the pair reprised these roles ten years later, reuniting with Sandra Bates in her final directorial role after retiring as the theatre's artistic director.
- Six Dance Lessons In Six Weeks, 1st Produced: Geffen Playhouse, Los Angeles, USA, 2001, Samuel French, Inc, New York (2005) ISBN 978-0-573-60279-5
- The Sisters, which premiered at the Pasadena Playhouse
- Harvest of Fire (1996) (TV)
- A Friendship in Vienna (1988) (TV)
- Echoes (1983)
- I Love Liberty (1982) (TV)
- Gans, Andrew (21 November 2003). "Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks to Close Nov. 23". Playbill. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Oxman, Steven (10 June 2001). "Review: 'Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks'". Variety. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "The International Hit Play 'Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks' by Richard Alfieri – The Play". sixdancelessonsinsixweeks.com. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "The International Hit Play 'Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks' by Richard Alfieri – Major Productions". sixdancelessonsinsixweeks.com. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Chang, Justin (16 December 2014). "Film Review: 'Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks'". Variety. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Hallett, Bruce (13 February 2006). "Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Hook, Chris (3 February 2016). "Ten years later, McKenney and Hayes bring Six Dance Lessons play back for another spin on stage". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 27 September 2016.