Richard (Dick) L. Allington is an American scholar and researcher at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville where he has been a Professor of Education since 2005.
He has served as the President of the International Reading Association (IRA), as President of the National Reading Conference, and as a member of the International Reading Association Board of Directors.
Allington grew up on a dairy farm in rural Michigan. After graduating from Western Michigan University in 1968 with his Elementary Education and Social Science degree, he became a 4th and 5th grade classroom teacher. Experiencing difficulty in dealing with students needing remedial reading instruction, he completed his Master of Arts in Reading degree in 1969, and moved on to become to the Title I Director for Belding Area Schools in Michigan. Although he had plans to eventually become a superintendent, he refocused his attention on academia and research. In 1973 he earned his PhD in Elementary and Special Education from Michigan State University and has since achieved a scholarly career in the fields of literacy and education.
- 1969–1973, Ph.D., Michigan State University, Elementary and Special Education
- 1968–1969, M.A., Western Michigan University, Reading Education
- 1965–1968, B.A., Western Michigan University, Social Science/Elementary Education
Allington is currently a Professor of Education at the University of Tennessee, beginning in 2005.
- 2000–2004, Fien Distinguished Professor of Education, University of Florida
- 1995–1999, Chair, Department of Reading & Senior Research Scientist National Research Center for English Learning and Achievement University at Albany
- 1989–1999, Professor, Teaching and Research, University at Albany
- 1987–1989, Director, Center for Teaching Effectiveness, State University of New York at Albany,
- 1982–1988, Chair, Department of Reading, State University of New York at Albany
- 1981, Visiting Professor/Teaching, Eastern Montana College
- 1978–1981, Associate Professor/Teaching and Research, State University of New York at Albany
- 1976, Visiting Professor/Teaching, University of Minnesota
- 1973–1978, Assistant Professor/Teaching and Research, State University of New York at Albany
- 1971–1973, Graduate Assistant and Lecturer, Michigan State
- 1969–1972, Title I Director/reading teacher, Belding Area Schools, MI
- 1968–1969, Classroom Teacher, Grade 4/5, Kent City Schools, MI
Allington, Richard, L. Response to Intervention: Research-Based Designs, Pearson Allyn & Bacon, 2008
Allington, Richard, L. What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs, Pearson Allyn & Bacon, 2012
Allington, Richard L. & McGill-Franzen, Anne M. Summer reading: Closing the rich/poor reading achievement gap, Teachers College Press, 2013
McGill-Franzen, Anne M. & Allington, Richard L. Handbook of reading disabilities research, Routledge, 2010
- "Richard A. Allington, Ph.D.". University of Tennessee. Retrieved 21 August 2015.