Richard B. Russell Airport
Richard B. Russell Airport
USGS aerial image - 8 February 1999
|Elevation AMSL||644 ft / 196 m|
Richard B. Russell Airport (IATA: RMG, ICAO: KRMG, FAA LID: RMG) is a county-owned public-use airport in Floyd County, Georgia, United States. The airport is located six nautical miles (11 km) north of the central business district of Rome, Georgia. It is also known as Richard B. Russell Regional Airport.
Floyd County purchased 670 acres (271 ha) of land for the airport in 1942. The county turned the land over to the U.S. Navy which built three asphalt runways for a Naval Auxiliary Air Station. It was deeded back to the county in 1945, after the Navy discontinued its use of the site. The airport was then named for Richard B. Russell, Jr., who represented Georgia in the U.S. Senate from 1933 until his death in 1971.
Facilities and aircraft
The airport covers an area of 985 acres (399 ha) at an elevation of 644 feet (196 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 1/19 measures 6,006 by 143 feet (1,831 x 44 m) and 7/25 is 4,497 by 100 feet (1,371 x 30 m). A former third runway which was designated 14/32 is closed.
For the 12-month period ending August 31, 2007, the airport had 36,703 aircraft operations, an average of 100 per day: 98% general aviation and 2% military. At that time there were 775 aircraft based at this airport: 88% military, 9% single-engine, 1% multi-engine, 1% ultralight, <1% glider, <1% jet and <1% helicopter.
- FAA Airport Master Record for RMG ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 27 August 2009.
- "Richard B. Russell Airport". Floyd County, Georgia. Archived from the original on May 4, 2009. Retrieved 27 October 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- FAA National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems: 2009-2013 Archived August 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Federal Aviation Administration. Published 1 October 2008.
- "Rome Composite Squadron". Civil Air Patrol. Archived from the original on 5 September 2009. Retrieved 27 October 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "History of Russell Airport". Floyd County, Georgia. Archived from the original on July 23, 2008. Retrieved 27 October 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- http://www.timetableimages.com, June 17, 1967 Eastern Airlines system timetable
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Richard B. Russell Airport.|
- "Richard B. Russell Regional Airport: 2008 Annual Report" (PDF). (266 KB)
- Richard B. Russell Airport (RMG) at Georgia DOT website
- (PDF), effective September 12, 2019
- FAA Terminal Procedures for Richard B. Russell (RMG), effective September 12, 2019
- Resources for this airport: