|Born||1970 (age 48–49)|
|Awards||3 VES Awards (2003, 2010, 2018), 1 BAFTA (2010), 1 Oscar (2010)|
Richard Baneham (born July 1970) is an Irish animator and visual effects supervisor, who has worked on such films as The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, the Chronicles of Narnia, and Avatar. Amongst other awards, Baneham has received a BAFTA Award for Best Special Visual Effects and an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects.
Life and career
Upon moving to Los Angeles, Baneham worked as an animator on several films including The Iron Giant and as animation supervisor on Cats & Dogs. He also worked with Rhythm and Hues on The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and as animation supervisor (overseeing the animation of the character of Gollum) on The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
His work also featured in the 2009 movie Avatar. For his work on Avatar, Richie, along with Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum and Andrew R. Jones, won the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects at the 82nd Academy Awards and the visual effects category at the 2010 BAFTAs.
Baneham reportedly signed-up to work on the planned Avatar sequels, and in an interview on The Tommy Tiernan Show which aired on 12 January 2017, Baneham confirmed that he was in pre-production on Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5.
At the 16th Visual Effects Society Awards in February 2018, a team of visual effects artists, including Baneham, was recognised for its work on Avatar: Flight of Passage - an attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- The Iron Giant (animator)
- Cats & Dogs (animator)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (main animator)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (main animator)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (main animator)
- Avatar (Animation producer)
- Awards for Richard Baneham on IMDb
- "In Hollywood with Richie Baneham, the Tallaght boy who may hold the survival of cinema in his hands". Mail Online. 20 February 2011.
I turned 40 last July 
- "Irishmen get nod for work on Avatar and Star Trek". Irish Examiner. 3 February 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "In living colour". Sunday Business Post. 14 February 2010. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011.
- "Film Awards Winners - Film - Awards - The BAFTA site". BAFTA. Archived from the original on 9 January 2012.
- "Dubliner among the Oscar winners". RTÉ Entertainment. 8 March 2010. Archived from the original on 11 March 2010.
- The Tommy Tiernan Show Extras: Richie Baneham. RTÉ. 12 January 2017. 9 minutes in. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "Visual Effects Society Awards: 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Wins Big". 13 February 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.