Richard Barrett (counter-terrorism expert)
Richard Martin Donne Barrett CMG OBE (born 14 June 1949) is a former British diplomat and intelligence officer now involved in countering violent extremism. Barrett is a recognized global expert on terrorism who frequently appears as a panelist in related conferences and whose commentary is regularly featured in the press.
From March 2004 to January 2013 Barrett led the Monitoring Team that supports the United Nations Security Council Committee pursuant to resolution 1267 (1999) concerning Al-Qaida and associated individuals and entities. Mr. Barrett was also a founding member of the United Nations Counter Terrorism Implementation Task Force (CTITF), which was established in 2005 to promote the UN Global Counter Terrorism Strategy adopted by the General Assembly in 2006. He chaired the CTITF Working Group on Terrorist use of the Internet and the CTITF Working Group on Dialogue Understanding and Countering the Appeal of Terrorism.
Barrett has been designated as one of the Global Experts of the Alliance of Civilizations, a group of recognized expert commentators available to the media to provide objective analysis on a range of pressing international issues. He has spoken frequently on television and radio, and his interviews have been featured on Amanpour (CNN) and Charlie Rose (PBS). He is the author of several articles and commentaries including op-eds for The Guardian, The New York Times, The Financial Times and The International Herald Tribune. Before being appointed to lead the Monitoring Team, Barrett spent his career in government service to the United Kingdom. He has held positions in the British Security Service (MI5) and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Barrett also served as Director of Global Counter Terrorism Operations for the British Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) both before and after the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States.
He has served abroad in Canada, Jordan, Turkey and the United States.
Barrett sits on the boards of the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism in The Hague; the Transnational Crisis Project; the Global Center on Cooperative Security; The Centre for Research and Security Studies in Islamabad, The Qatar International Academy for Security Studies in Doha  and The Center for the Study of United Nations Systems and the Global Legal Order (SUNSGLOW).
Barrett was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1992 and Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) in the 2013 Birthday Honours.
- United Nations Security Council 1267 Committee Website, General Information, http://www.un.org/sc/committees/1267/information.shtml
- United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, Rapid Response Media Mechanism, Global Expert Finder, http://www.unaoc.org/content/view/91/126/lang,english/
- "CNN". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Charlie Rose - charlierose.com". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Richard Barrett. "Taliban put to the test". the Guardian. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Why the Afghan end-game is so hard to play". Financial Times. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Global Experts, The Experts Database, Richard Barrett, http://www.theglobalexperts.org/experts/expert-location/north-america-expert-location/richard-barrett
- International Centre for Counter-Terrorism - The Hague, Board of Advisors, http://icct.nl/vervolg.php?h_id=1&s_id=39
- Global Center on Cooperative Security, Advisory Council, http://www.globalct.org/experts_advisoryBoard.php
- "QIASS - Qatar International Academy for Security Studies". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- SUNSGLOW, Board I Advisors, http://www.sunsglow.com/members.shtml
- London Gazette Issue 53153, Supplement (30 December 1992) 17, http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/53153/supplements/17
- The London Gazette: . 15 June 2013.
- Richard Barrett: The Islamic State  November 2014.
- Richard Barrett: Foreign Fighters in Syria () June 2014.
- Richard Barrett. "Seven Years After 9/11, The International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation and Political Violence (September 2008).
- Richard Barrett and Laila Bokhari. "De-radicalisation and rehabilitation programmes targeting militant jihadists: An overview." Chapter 10 in Leaving Terrorism Behind, Jorgo and Horgan, eds. (Routledge, 2008).
- Hamed El-Said and Richard Barrett. "Radicalisation and Extremism that Lead to Violent Extremism in the Arab World" in Part III of Globalisation, Democratisation and Radicalisation in the Arab World, El-Said and Harrington, eds. (Palgrave Macmillan, 2010).
- Richard Barrett. "Al-Qaeda and Taliban Sanctions Threatened," Policy Watch 1409 for the Washington Center for Near East Policy (6 October 2008).
- Richard Barrett, et al. "The Al-Qaeda-Taliban Nexus." Expert Roundup, Council on Foreign Relations (25 November 2009).
- Richard Barrett. "The broader impact of terrorism on financial stability." Seminar on Current Developments in Monetary and Financial Law Washington, D.C., International Monetary Fund (26 October 2006).
- Richard Barrett. "The Role of the United Nations in Defeating Al-Qa'ida and Associated Groups," CTC Sentinel 2, no. 4 (April 2009).
- Richard Barrett on the Global Expert Finder Database
- United Nations Security Council 1267 Committee
- United Nations Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force
- International Centre for Counter-Terrorism - The Hague
- Center on Global Counterterrorism Cooperation
- The Center for the Study of United Nations Systems and the Global Legal Order