Richard Butler, 17th Viscount Mountgarret
Richard Henry Piers Butler, 17th Viscount Mountgarret (8 November 1936 – 7 February 2004) was a British soldier.
Butler was born at Knaresborough, the son of Piers Butler, 16th Viscount Mountgarret and Eglantine Christie. He was educated at Eton and the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst before joining the Irish Guards.
He was commissioned in the Irish Guards in 1957, retiring in the rank of captain in 1964. Two years later he succeeded his father in the viscountcy, which had been created in 1550. After retiring from the Irish Guards, he was president of Yorkshire Cricket Club between 1984 and 1990. He moved to the 2,000-acre (8.1 km2) estate in South Stainley, near Ripon, after selling his family home, Nidd Hall, in the mid-1960s.
He became the most likely heir to the title of Earldom of Ormond(e) (created 1328), the 16th century Earldom of Ossory and thus Chief Butler/Chief of the Butlers of Ireland (dormant since the death of the last Marquess of Ormonde), but submitted no claim to these Irish peerages to the British monarch.
Marriages and children
Lord Mountgarret married three times. His first wife was Gillian Margaret Buckley, daughter of Cyril Francis Stewart Buckley and Audrey Burmester, on 20 May 1960 but divorced in 1970. The couple had two sons and a daughter:
- Piers James Richard Butler, 18th Viscount Mountgarret (15 April 1961)
- Married, Laura Brown Gary Williams (daughter of Albert Dickins Williams, Jr, of Lake Forest, Ill., U.S.A.), in 1995 and divorced in 2000.
- Hon Alexa Sterling Hadley Butler (b. 16 Feb 1997)
- Hon Morgan Dickins Somerset Butler (b. 14 May 1999)
- Then married Fenella M Fawcus, daughter of Mr and Mrs David Fawcus, on 30 December 2006.
- Hon Venetia Ellice Cara Butler (b. 25 Sep 2013)
- Hon. Theo Oliver Stafford Butler (b. 11 Oct. 2015), the heir apparent.
- Hon. Edmund Henry Richard Butler (1 September 1962), married Adella I Lloyd, daughter of M. Lloyd, of New York, in 1988 and was divorced in 1989.
- Hon Henrietta Elizabeth Alexandra Butler (1964), married Robert Cluer, son of Henry Cluer, in 1991.
Mountgarret later married Jennifer Susan Wills, a member of the Wills tobacco family, daughter of Capt. DM Wills, on 29 April 1970, but divorced in 1983. He finally married Angela Ruth Porter, eldest daughter of Major Thomas Porter, on 25 May 1983.
- "Online peerage". Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Mountgarret
|Peerage of Ireland|
Piers Henry Augustine Butler
Piers James Richard Butler
|This biography of a viscount or viscountess in the Peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|