Carwardine in July 2010
|Born||Richard John Carwardine
12 January 1947
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Oxford
Queen's College, Oxford
University of California, Berkeley
|Sub discipline||Politics of the United States
Religion in the United States
American Civil War
|Institutions||University of Sheffield
University of Oxford
St Catherine's College, Oxford
Corpus Christi College, Oxford
Richard John Carwardine, FRHistS, FBA, FLSW (born 12 January 1947) is a Welsh historian and academic. He specialises in American Politics and religion in the era of the American Civil War, he is best known for his work on Abraham Lincoln. He was President of Corpus Christi College, Oxford from 2010 to 2016.
Carwardine was born in Cardiff, Wales, the son of John Francis Carwardine and Beryl Jones. He attended Maesycwmmer Primary School and Monmouth School. At Corpus Christi College, Oxford, as William Jones Exhibitioner, he received his B.A. in Modern History 1968 (M.A. 1972). He studied for his D.Phil. in Modern History at the Queen's College, Oxford, and the University of California, Berkeley, as the Ochs-Oakes Senior Scholar in American History and Institutions.
Carwardine taught American history at the University of Sheffield (1971-2002) where he also served as Dean of the Faculty of Arts. In 2002 he was appointed Rhodes Professor of American History & Institutions at Oxford University and a Fellow of St Catherine's College. Elected President of Corpus Christi College, he assumed office in January 2010. He is also a Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the University.
Honours, fellowships and prizes
- Fellow of the Royal Historical Society (1983)
- ACLS/Fulbright Fellow, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1989)
- Arthur Miller American Studies Prize (1997)
- Leverhulme Trust Research Fellowship (2001–04)
- Lincoln Prize Laureate (2004)
- Fellow of the British Academy (2006)
- Order of Lincoln, State of Illinois (2009)
- Honorary Fellow, St Catherine's College, Oxford (2009)
- Honorary Fellow, The Queen's College, Oxford (2009)
- Founding Fellow, The Learned Society of Wales (2010)
- Stewart Fellow, Princeton University (2011)
- Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers (2011)
- Lincoln Diploma of Honor, Lincoln Memorial University (2013)
- Honorary D.Litt., University of Sheffield (2015)
- Richard Carwardine was inducted as a Laureate of The Lincoln Academy of Illinois and awarded the Order of Lincoln (the State’s highest honor) by the Governor of Illinois in 2009 as a Bicentennial Laureate.
Carwardine is a co-founder of the Abbey Shakespeare Players. The company present a Shakespeare play every summer at St. Dogmaels Abbey in Pembrokeshire.
- Carwardine, Richard. Transatlantic Revivalism: Popular Evangelicalism in Britain and America, 1790-1865. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press, 1978. ISBN 0-313-20308-3 OCLC 4037176
- Carwardine, Richard. Evangelicals and Politics in Antebellum America. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1993. ISBN 0-300-05413-0 OCLC 26931100
- Carwardine, Richard. Abraham Lincoln and the Fourth Estate: The White House and the Press During the American Civil War. [Reading]: University of Reading, 2004. ISBN 0-704-91197-3 OCLC 61810490
- Carwardine, Richard. Lincoln: A Life of Purpose and Power. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2006. ISBN 1-400-04456-1 OCLC 60421093
- Carwardine, Richard, and Jay Sexton. The Global Lincoln. New York: Oxford University Press, 2011. ISBN 019537911X OCLC 666242533
- "Corpus Christi College Oxford - President and Fellows". Ccc.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- Richard Carwardine on the Lincoln Academy site, 2009
|President of Corpus Christi College, Oxford
2010 to 2016