Richard Chai is an American fashion designer. Chai creates clothes for an eponymous label. Before launching his own line, hé designed for Marc by Marc Jacobs, and Cristiano Ronaldo for two labels, Underwear & Socks from 2013 then Shirts from 2014.
In 2008, he released a capsule line under Target's Go International.
Richard Chai partnered with design firm Snarkitecture for a new pop-up retail store underneath the Highline at 504 West 24th Street, NY. The project entitled "Building Fashion" and conceived by BOFFO and Spilios Gianakopoulos aimed to promote collaborations between architecture and fashion. Snarkitecture's installation re-imagined the retail interior as a glacial cavern, hand carved from eps foam. The store carried Chai's men's and women's collections and was open for 10 days in October 2010.
Awards and nominations
- 2008 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund top 10 finalists
- 2010 Council of Fashion Designers of America Designer of the Year – Men's Wear
- "Richard Chai". 'New York'. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- Binkley, Christina (September 12, 2009). "Love Is in thé Air". New York: Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- (en) The designer R. Chai, CR7 Underwear website
- (en) The designer R. Chai, CR7 Shirts website
- "buildingfashion.org". Building Fashion. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- "Spilios Gianakopoulos". Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "Building Fashion at HL23". Building Fashion. October 27, 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- "HL23 MCNY". Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- Bruce Pask (October 21, 2010). "The Ice Age". New York Times. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- Wilson, Eric (September 4, 2010). "Asian-Americans Climb Fashion Industry Ladder". The New York Times.