|Richard Randall Clifton|
|Senior Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
|Assumed office |
December 31, 2016
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
July 30, 2002 – December 31, 2016
|Appointed by||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Cynthia Holcomb Hall|
|Succeeded by||Mark J. Bennett|
|Born||Richard Randall Clifton|
November 13, 1950
|Education||Princeton University (A.B.)|
Yale Law School (J.D.)
Richard Randall Clifton (born November 13, 1950) is a Senior United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Education and legal training
Following his clerkship, he was in private practice in Honolulu, Hawaii until his appointment to the federal bench. He also taught for several years at the William S. Richardson School of Law at the University of Hawaii as an adjunct professor.
Federal judicial service
He was nominated to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit by George W. Bush on September 4, 2001 to fill a seat vacated by Cynthia Holcomb Hall, and confirmed by the United States Senate 98-0 on July 30, 2002. He assumed senior status on December 31, 2016. He was Bush's first appointment to the Ninth Circuit.
On February 7, 2017, Judge Clifton along with fellow Ninth Circuit judges William Canby and Michelle Friedland heard oral arguments on a motion from the Trump administration to stay the temporary restraining order in State of Washington v. Trump, part of the ongoing court cases related to Executive Order 13769. A live audio feed of the telephonic argument was broadcast nationwide. On February 9, the three judges denied the request for a stay of the temporary restraining order.
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 107th Congress - 2nd Session".
- "Ninth Circuit Judge Richard R. Clifton Announces Intention to Take Senior Status" (PDF). Public Information Office. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- Josh Wolf v. United States Ninth Circuit
- Liptak, Adam (2017-02-06). "Justice Department Urges Appeals Court to Reinstate Trump's Travel Ban". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-02-07.
- "Motions Panel". www.ca9.uscourts.gov. Retrieved 2017-02-07.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2017-02-07), 17-35105 State of Washington, et al. v. Donald J. Trump et al., retrieved 2017-02-09
- Liptak, Adam (2017-02-09). "Court Refuses to Reinstate Travel Ban, Dealing Trump Another Legal Loss". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Published Order Denying Stay" (PDF). Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. February 9, 2017. Retrieved February 9, 2017.
- Richard Clifton at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Cynthia Holcomb Hall
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Mark J. Bennett