Richard Crawford (American football)
Crawford at Redskins training camp in 2012.
|No. 35 San Diego Chargers|
|Date of birth:||August 1, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Oceanside, California|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||192 lb (87 kg)|
|High school:||Oceanside (CA) El Camino|
|NFL draft:||2012 / Round: 7 / Pick: 213|
|Roster status:||Practice Squad|
Career NFL statistics as of 2013
|Punt return yards:||156|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Richard Crawford (born August 1, 1990) is an American football cornerback for the San Diego Chargers. He was selected in the seventh round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. He played college football at Southern Methodist University.
Crawford was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the seventh round of the 2012 NFL Draft, joining SMU teammate Josh LeRibeus, who was drafted by the Redskins in the third round. On May 4, 2012, the Redskins officially signed him to a four-year contract. At the start of 2012 training camp, it was announced that Crawford was taking reps as punt returner providing competition for Brandon Banks. After having an impressive preseason, that included having two interceptions and displaying good punt returning skills, he made the final 53-man roster at the start of the 2012 season.
On September 9, 2012, he made his NFL debut in the season opener against the New Orleans Saints and had one tackle. In Week 14 against the Baltimore Ravens, he and Niles Paul took over punt/kick return duties for an inactive Brandon Banks. In overtime, Crawford returned a punt for 64 yards, which set up the game-winning field goal. He would later recover the ball after Ryan Kerrigan forced Nick Foles to fumble in Week 16. In the last regular season game against the Dallas Cowboys, Crawford recorded his first interception on Tony Romo in the Cowboys' first drive of the game.
Crawford announced via his Twitter account that he would be changing his jersey from #39 to #20 on April 6, 2013. In the third 2013 preseason game against the Buffalo Bills, he suffered a season-ending injury to his LCL and ACL during a punt return. The Redskins waived/injured him on August 26, 2013, two days he was placed on injured reserve after clearing waivers.
San Diego Chargers
- "Redskins draft SMU CB Richard Crawford, 2nd Mustang Washington picks in this year’s NFL draft". WashingtonPost.com. April 28, 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-28.
- Jones, Mike (May 4, 2012). "Redskins sign seventh-rounders Richard Crawford, Jordan Bernstine". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- Tinsman, Brian (July 26, 2012). "Thursday Training Camp Practice Notes". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Walker, Andrew (August 9, 2012). "Crawford Shines On Defense, Special Teams". Redskins. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Tinsman, Brian (August 29, 2012). "Redskins Dominate Bucs For Total-Team Win". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Tinsman, Brian (December 10, 2012). "Monday Morning Stats Pack: Redskins-Ravens". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Tinsman, Brian (December 24, 2012). "Victory Monday Stats Pack: Redskins-Eagles". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- Tinsman, Brian (December 31, 2012). "Victory Monday Stats Pack: Week 17". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- Herting, Chris (April 6, 2013). "Real Reason Behind The Number Change". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- Jones, Mike (August 24, 2013). "Crawford’s season-ending knee injury leaves Redskins in need of punt returner". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Tinsman, Brian (August 26, 2013). "Redskins Trim Roster Ahead Of Cuts". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Jones, Mike (August 28, 2013). "Crawford, Kimbrough, Mouton clear waivers, placed on Injured Reserve". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- Jones, Mike. "Cornerback Richard Crawford among first players cut by Redskins". Washington Post. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- Keim, John (August 31, 2014). "Redskins sign eight to practice squad". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-08-31.
- Jones, Mike (September 29, 2014). "Redskins re-sign cornerback Richard Crawford". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- Tandler, Rich (October 7, 2014). "Redskins waive two players, promote one". CSNWashington.com. Retrieved 2014-10-07.
- Henne, Ricky. "Chargers Sign CB Richard Crawford; Release Marshall". San Diego Chargers. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Williams, Eric (November 22, 2014). "Chargers sign Ryan Miller, cut Richard Crawford". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-12-24.
- Henne, Ricky (November 15, 2014). "Full List of Chargers 2014 Transactions". Chargers.com. Retrieved 2014-12-24.