Richard D. McCormick
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Richard David McCormick (July 4, 1940- ) is an American business executive.
McCormick is chairman emeritus of US West, Inc.. He served as CEO of US West from 1990 to 1998. He was also a director of Wells Fargo & Company (1983-2010) and an honorary chairman of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
McCormick was born in Fort Dodge, Iowa, the son of Elmo Eugene McCormick and Virgilla (Lawler) McCormick. He received his BS degree in electrical engineering from Iowa State University in 1961 and went to work that year for AT&T as an engineer in Kansas City, Missouri.
On June 29, 1963, he married Mary Patricia Smola, and had four children.
He moved to Northwestern Bell in 1969, rising to the presidency of the Omaha-based company in 1982. A year after the divestiture of the Bell System, he went to Denver in 1985 as executive vice president of US West, Inc., the new regional Bell operating company. McCormick was elected president and chief operating officer in 1986, chief executive officer in 1990, and chairman in 1992 (replacing Jack A. MacAllister in both instances).
In 1995 McCormick was named chairman of the United States Council for International Business, the US affiliate of the International Chamber of Commerce. He stepped down as chairman and was named vice chairman in February 2001. Elected chairman of the International Chamber of Commerce in 2001, he retired in 2003 and was given the emeritus title of honorary chairman.
Having been elected a director of Norwest Bank in 1983, upon the merger with Wells Fargo & Company in 1998 he became a director of Wells Fargo. McCormick retired as CEO of US West in 1998 and as chairman of the board of directors in 1999. Solomon J. Trujillo replaced him as chairman. In January 1999, McCormich was appointed vice president of ICC and in January 2001, he became the president of the body.
Currently, McCormick is a director of Nortel Networks Corporation and United Technologies Corporation, and he is a trustee of the Denver Art Museum. In the past he also served on the boards of Health Trio, UAL Corporation, Wells Fargo & Company and Unocal.
- Richard D. McCormick, director since 1983, Wells Fargo website, Retrieved November 15, 2010. Archived November 19, 2005, at the Wayback Machine.
- Bryant, Adam. (4 April 1992) President of U S West to Become Chairman, The New York Times, Retrieved November 15, 2010
- Richard D. McCormick bio, USCIB webpage, n.d. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- (12 May 1999) U S West Elects New Chairman, The New York Times, Retrieved November 15, 2010
- "Former US WEST CEO Elected VP of International Chamber of Commerce; will Become President in 2 Years". PR Newswire. Geneva. January 8, 1999. Retrieved March 25, 2013.