2012 Australian Paralympic Team portrait of Eliason
|Full name||Richard Eliason|
|Born||8 April 1988|
|Classifications||S14, SB14, SM14|
Eliason was born on 8 April 1988 with an intellectual disability and is from Flynn, Australian Capital Territory. In December 2011 during his preparation for the national selection trials for the 2012 Summer Paralympics, Eliason was injured in a motorbike accident, preventing him from training for two months. Some of his Games preparation took place at the Canberra International Sports & Aquatic Centre. Given his motorbike accident, his coaches advised him to take the bus from place to place and to avoid using his bike until after the Paralympics.
Eliason is an SB14 classified swimmer, and is coached by Cameron Gledhill at his club venue Canberra International Sports & Aquatic Centre. As of 2012[update], he had a swimming scholarship with the Australian Capital Territory Academy of Sport. He started competitive swimming in 2001. At the Brisbane hosted 2006 Australian national titles, he placed in the top three in the 400 metres freestyle multi-disability event. In March 2012, he competed in the Adelaide hosted national selection trials, where he won the men's 100 metres breaststroke with a time of 1:10.07.
Eliason made his national team debut at the 2005 INAS-FID Global Games, where he won a silver medal in the 200 metre breaststroke event. He won a pair of gold medals, four silver medals and a bronze medals 2007 INAS-FID Global Games. He competed in the Global Games again in 2009, where he earned a pair of gold and silver medals, and three bronze medals. He was a member of the Australian team competing at the Dutch hosted 2011 IPC World Swimming Championships.
In July 2012, Eliason was formally selected to represent Australia at the 2012 Summer Paralympics in the men's 100 metres breaststroke event in the intellectual disability classification, which had been excluded since the 2000 Summer Paralympics intellectual disability controversy. He placed 5th in the final. He did not medal at the 2012 Games.
|Long||50m Breaststroke||32.03||2012 EnergyAustralia Swimming Championships||22-Mar-12|||
|Long||100m Breaststroke||01:10.7||2012 EnergyAustralia Swimming Championships||18-Mar-12|||
|Long||200m Breaststroke||02:40.1||Canberra Christmas Classic 2007||1-Dec-07|||
|Long||50m Butterfly||30.91||2008 Telstra Australian Swimming Championship||22-Mar-08|||
|Long||50m Freestyle||27||2009 Burley Griffin October Meet||10-Oct-09|||
|Long||100m Freestyle||01:00.5||2010 Telstra Australian Championship||16-Mar-10|||
|Long||200m Freestyle||02:16.3||Telopea Summer Meet 2005||5-Nov-05|||
|Long||400m Freestyle||04:48.5||ACT Summer||19-Nov-05|||
|Long||200m Medley||02:33.6||2012 EnergyAustralia Swimming Championships||20-Mar-12|||
|Short||50m Backstroke||37.26||Canberra WDS Meet||11-Jun-06|||
|Short||50m Breaststroke||31.72||2012 NSW SC Country Championships||7-Jul-12|||
|Short||100m Breaststroke||01:08.6||2012 NSW SC Country Championships||8-Jul-12|||
|Short||200m Breaststroke||02:33.8||2006 NSW State Age SC Championships||15-Sep-06|||
|Short||50m Butterfly||29.49||2011 Australian Short Course Championships||3-Jul-11|||
|Short||100m Butterfly||01:09.9||Canberra WDS Meet||11-Jun-06|||
|Short||50m Freestyle||26.29||ACT Short Course Championships||1-Aug-09|||
|Short||100m Freestyle||59.82||Ginninderra Winter Short Course Carnival 2010||26-Jun-10|||
|Short||200m Freestyle||02:14.1||2010 TVSC Annual Qualifying Meet||23-May-10|||
|Short||200m Medley||02:31.5||Canberra WDS Meet||11-Jun-06|||
|Wikinews has related news: 2012 Australian Paralympic swim team announced|
- "Richard Eliason". Australia: Australian Paralympic Committee. 2012. Archived from the original on 12 July 2012. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- Lee Gaskin (2012-07-18). "Eliason wants to make up for lost time in London". Canberra Times. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- "Paralympic swim team revealed". Australian Paralympic Committee. 2012-07-10. Archived from the original on 2012-07-11. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "Barr relishes Olympic late nights". CityNews. 2012-07-27. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- "14-year-old dead-heats for title". The Age. 6 December 2006. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- "Richard Eliason personal bests". Swimming Western Australia. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- Men's 100 m Breaststroke SB14 World Ranking, IPC
- "Australian Swimming Coaches and Teachers Association". Australian Swimming Coaches and Teachers Association. Archived from the original on 2 January 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- Lee Gaskin (2012-07-11). "Team to beat follows the black line to London". Canberra Times. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- "Cowdrey leads Paralympic swim team". ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 2012-07-13.