Fiske, circa September 1938
|Born||Thomas Richard Potts
November 20, 1915
Shelton, Washington, U.S
|Died||August 10, 1944
La Croix-Avranchin, France
|Resting place||Brittany American Cemetery and Memorial, Basse-Normandie, France|
Richard Fiske (November 20, 1915 – August 10, 1944) was an American film actor. He appeared in over 80 films between 1938 and 1942.
Born Thomas Richard Potts, Fiske was born to Frank and Bernice Potts. The tall, handsome young actor signed a contract with Columbia Pictures in 1938, and appeared regularly in the studio's "B" pictures, serials, and short subjects, including major roles in the popular serials The Spider's Web (1938) and Flying G-Men (1939), frequent castings in the Blondie, The Lone Wolf, and Boston Blackie series, and equally frequent work with short-subject comedians Charley Chase, Andy Clyde, and Buster Keaton.
Fiske is best known by modern viewers for his portrayals of neurotic foils to The Three Stooges. Perhaps his most familiar role is that of the irate husband-turned-drill sergeant in 1940's Boobs in Arms. This performance would be recycled three years later in Dizzy Pilots.
Fiske's brief acting career was cut short when he was drafted into the United States Army in 1942. He was killed in action two years later at La Croix-Avranchin, while serving within the 9th Infantry Regiment (United States) 2nd Infantry Division. 1st Lieutenant Fiske (Potts) was 28 years of age.
- The Little Adventuress (1938)
- Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise (1939)
- Pest from the West (1939)
- Three Sappy People (1939)
- You Nazty Spy! (1940)
- Boobs in Arms (1940)
- The Devil Commands (1941)
- All the World's a Stooge (1941)
- Time Out for Rhythm (1941)
- In the Sweet Pie and Pie (1941)
- Across the Sierras (1941)
- The Major and the Minor (1942)
- Dizzy Pilots (1943) (stock footage)
- Cappello, Bill (Winter 1992). "Supporting Player Richard Fiske: A Brief Biography". The Three Stooges Journal. Gwynedd Valley, Pennsylvania: The Three Stooges Fan Club, Inc. (64): 6–7, 14.
- Solomon, Jon (2002). The Complete Three Stooges: The Official Filmography and Three Stooges Companion. Comedy III Productions, Inc. p. 192. ISBN 0-9711868-0-4.
- 1Lt. Richard R Fiske at Find a Grave