Richard Fitzalan, 1st Earl of Arundel
|Born||3 February 1267|
|Died||9 March 1302 (aged 35)|
|Resting place||Haughmond Abbey, Shropshire|
|Spouse(s)||Alice of Saluzzo|
|Parent(s)||John Fitzalan III|
Richard Fitzalan, 1st Earl of Arundel (3 February 1267 – 9 March 1302) was an English nobleman and soldier.
He was knighted by King Edward I of England in 1289.
Fought in Wales, Gascony & Scotland
He fought in the Welsh wars, 1288 to 1294, when the Welsh castle of Castell y Bere (near modern-day Towyn) was besieged by Madog ap Llywelyn. He commanded the force sent to relieve the siege and he also took part in many other campaigns in Wales ; also in Gascony 1295-97; and furthermore in the Scottish wars, 1298-1300.
Marriage & Issue
- Edmund Fitzalan, 2nd Earl of Arundel.
- John, a priest.
- Alice Fitzalan, married Stephen de Segrave, 3rd Lord Segrave.
- Margaret Fitzalan, married William le Botiller (or Butler).
- Eleanor FitzAlan, married Henry de Percy, 1st Baron Percy.[a]
Richard and his mother are buried together in the sanctuary of Haughmond Abbey, long closely associated with the FitzAlan family.
- Standard accounts of the Percy family identify Eleanor as the daughter of the "Earl of Arundel". Arrangements for Eleanor's marriage to Lord Percy are found in the recognizance made in 1300 by Eleanor's father, Richard, Earl of Arundel, for a debt of 2,000 marks which he owed Sir Henry Percy. Eleanor was styled as a "kinswoman" of Edward II on two separate occasions; once in 1318 and again in 1322 presumably by her descent from Amadeus IV, Count of Savoy who was the brother of Edward II's great-grandmother, Beatrice of Savoy. Eleanor's brothers, Edmund and John were also styled as "kinsmen" of the king. Eleanor's identity is further indicated by the presence of the old and new arms of FitzAlan (or Arundel) at her tomb.
- Cokayne, G.E. & Gibbs, Vicary, eds. (1910). "Arundel". The Complete Peerage. 1 (2nd ed.). London: St. Catherine Press.
- Tout, Thomas Frederick (1889). . In Stephen, Leslie (ed.). Dictionary of National Biography. 19. London: Smith, Elder & Co. pp. 95–96.
- Tout, T.F. & Saul, Nigel (2004). "Fitzalan, Richard, first earl of Arundel (1267–1302), magnate and soldier". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online). doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/9533.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis. Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America Before 1700.
|Peerage of England|
Title last held byHugh d'Aubigny
| Earl of Arundel