Richard Fletcher (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of London|
|Church||Church of England|
|Elected||30 December 1594|
|In office||10 January 1595–15 June 1596|
|Consecration||14 December 1589|
|Died||15 June 1596 (aged c. 51–52)|
|Previous post||Bishop of Worcester
Bishop of Bristol
Dean of Peterborough
Richard Fletcher (1544/5, Watford – 15 June 1596) was a Church of England priest and bishop. He was successively dean of Peterborough (1583–89), bishop of Bristol (1589–93), bishop of Worcester (1593–95) and bishop of London (1595–96).
During his time as Dean of Peterborough Cathedral he was present at the execution of Mary, Queen of Scots on 8 February 1587, described by Fraser as "pray(ing) out loud and at length, in a prolonged and rhetorical style as though determined to force his way into the pages of history" (1969:584), and presided over her initial funeral and burial at Peterborough Cathedral.
He was elected bishop of Bristol on 13 November 1589 and consecrated on 14 December 1589. He was translated to the bishopric of Worcester on 10 February 1593 and again to the bishopric of London on 10 January 1595.
He died in office on 15 June 1596.
- Harries et al. (1991), p. 170
- "Fletcher, Richard (FLTR562R)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/Documents/execution_of_mary_stuart.htm[unreliable source]
- Fraser, A. (1969) Mary Queen of Scots, World Books, London, pp583-586, 594
- Horn 1996, Bishops of Bristol, Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541–1857, volume 8, pp. 9–15.
- Horn 1996, Bishops of Worcester, Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541–1857, volume 7, pp. 105–109.
- Horn 1969, Bishops of London, Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541–1857, volume 1, pp. 1–4.
- Harries, R.; Cattermole, P.; Mackintosh, P. (1991). A History of Norwich School: King Edward VI's Grammar School at Norwich. Norwich: Friends of Norwich School. ISBN 978-0-9518561-1-6.
- Horn, J. M. (1969). "Bishops of London". Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541–1857. Volume 1: St. Paul's, London. Institute of Historical Research.
- Horn, J. M. (1996). "Bishops of Worcester". Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541–1857. Volume 7: Ely, Norwich, Westminster and Worcester Dioceses. Institute of Historical Research.
- Horn, J. M. (1996). "Bishops of Bristol". Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541–1857. Volume 8: Bristol, Gloucester, Oxford and Peterborough Dioceses. Institute of Historical Research.
- Usher, Brett, ‘Fletcher, Richard (1544/5–1596)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, Sept 2004; online edn, Jan 2008, accessed 3 Jan 2008
|Church of England titles|
|Dean of Peterborough
|Bishop of Bristol
Title next held byJohn Thornborough
|Bishop of Worcester
|Bishop of London
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|