|Richard L. Gallo|
Richard L. Gallo M.D., Ph.D. is Professor and founding Chairman of Dermatology at the University of California, San Diego and Chief of Dermatology at the VA San Diego Healthcare System. His research accomplishments as a physician-scientist include discovery of antimicrobial peptides in mammalian skin and establishing new links between innate immunity and skin diseases such as atopic dermatitis and rosacea.
Gallo studies how humans interact with the environment and protect themselves from infection. He discovered that cathelicidin antimicrobial peptides AKA [Cathelicidins] are present during wound repair. Subsequent work from his laboratory used molecular techniques to produce a knock out mouse that has shown how cathelicidin antimicrobials protect against infection in several organs including the skin. By using a wide variety of biochemical and genetic tools his work has also shown that other antimicrobial peptides and elements of innate immunity such as Toll-like receptors and Hyaluronan influence human health. His work has translated into a new understanding of the cause of rosacea, a finding with immediate therapeutic implications. Most recently his research has defined biochemical mechanisms through which Vitamin D and the normal skin microflora Microbiome can control immune responses. These latest findings have advanced understanding of the Hygiene hypothesis, Atopic Dermatitis and Rosacea.
- Gallo, RL. et al. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994 Nov 8;91(23):11035-9. PMID 7972004.
- Nizet, V. et al. Nature. 2001 Nov 22;414(6862):454-7. PMID 11719807
- Cause Of Skin Condition Rosacea Discovered, Science Daily, August 5, 2007. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Oral Vitamin D May Help Prevent Some Skin Infections. Oct 2008
- Dirt can be good for children, say scientist. Nov 2009 BBC News
- UC Newsroom: www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/22450.
- WebMD: www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and.../bacteria-key-to-healthy-skin.
- Ong, PY. et al. N Engl J Med. 2002 Oct 10;347(15):1151-60.
- Yamasaki, K. et al. Nat Med. 2007 Aug;13(8):975-80. Epub 2007 Aug 5.PMID 17676051
- Lai, Y. et al. Nat Med. 2009 Dec;15(12):1377-82. Epub 2009 Nov 22.PMID 19966777
|This biographical article related to medicine in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|