Gautier as Robin Hood in When Things Were Rotten, 1975.
October 30, 1931
Culver City, California, U.S.
|Died||January 13, 2017
Arcadia, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, comedian, singer, caricaturist|
Richard "Dick" Gautier (October 30, 1931 – January 13, 2017) was an American actor, comedian, singer, and caricaturist. He was known for his television roles as Hymie the Robot in the television series Get Smart, and Robin Hood in the short-lived TV comedy series When Things Were Rotten, a Mel Brooks send-up of the classic legend.
Gautier also played Hal, the partner of Stanley Beamish, in the short-lived sitcom series Mister Terrific (1967); and had various voice roles in the 1984 animated Transformers series (including the voice of Rodimus Prime).
Gautier started his career as a nightclub comic and a singer; he joined ASCAP in 1959 after serving in the United States Navy. In 1960, he portrayed fictional rock 'n roll star Conrad Birdie in the original Broadway theatre production of Bye Bye Birdie, receiving a Tony Award nomination for his performance.
He appeared in an episode of The Patty Duke Show, "Anywhere I Hang My Horn Is Home". He portrayed the clumsy robot "Hymie" on TV's Get Smart. He portrayed a dance instructor in the original TV series Gidget and a French dress designer in the episode "Samantha, the Dressmaker" from the second season of the TV situation comedy Bewitched. In 1974, he played Sportscaster Ed Cavanaugh on The Mary Tyler Moore Show in the fourth season episode entitled, "Hi There, Sports Fans". In 1978, he appeared as Harriman in the episode "The Intimate Friends of Janet Wilde" in the NBC crime drama series The Eddie Capra Mysteries. He also portrayed a magician, Cagliostro, in the Wonder Woman TV series episode "Diana's Disappearing Act" starring Lynda Carter.
As a game show panelist
During the 1970s and 1980s, Gautier was a frequent game show panelist, appearing on Match Game, Family Feud Tattletales, Showoffs, You Don't Say!, Liar's Club, Password Plus, Body Language, Super Password, Win, Lose or Draw, and the TV version of Can You Top This?
In 1973, when Burt Ward and Yvonne Craig reprised their Batman roles (as Robin and Batgirl respectively) for a TV public service announcement about equal pay for women, Adam West, who was trying to distance himself from the Batman role at the time, declined to participate. Gautier filled in for West as Batman on this occasion.
Gautier performed several voice-over roles in animation, including Rodimus Prime in the third season of The Transformers animated series from 1986–1987 (taking over for Judd Nelson, who previously performed the role in the 1986 Transformers movie), as well as Serpentor in the G.I. Joe series, Louis from the 1986 cartoon Foofur, Spike the Dog in Tom & Jerry Kids, some additional voices in Hanna-Barbera's The New Yogi Bear Show, several voices for Inhumanoids, including Crygen and pyre and their combined form Magnakor and he was also the narrator for Discovery Channel's Search for Adventure.
Caricatures of celebrities
- Ensign Pulver (1964) - Stefanowski
- Divorce American Style (1967) - Larry Strickland
- Maryjane (1968) - Bearded prisoner (uncredited)
- Wild in the Sky (1972) - Diver
- The Manchu Eagle Murder Caper Mystery (1975) - Oscar Cornell
- Fun with Dick and Jane (1977) - Dr. Will
- Billy Jack Goes to Washington (1977) - Gov. Hubert Hopper
- GoBots: Battle of the Rock Lords (1986) - Brimstone / Bugsie / Klaws / Narlihog (voice)
- Glitch! (1988) - Julius Lazar
- The Naked Truth (1992) - The Bartender
- Gautier, Dick (1993). Child's Garden of Weirdness. Tuttle Publishing. ISBN 978-0804818254.
- Gautier, Dick (1994). Drawing and Cartooning 1,001 Figures in Action. Perigee Books. ISBN 978-0399518591.
- Gautier, Dick (1995). Drawing and Cartooning 1,001 Caricatures. Perigee Books. ISBN 978-0399519116.
- Gautier, Dick (1997). Creating Comic Characters. Perigee Books. ISBN 978-0399523519.
- Blake, Meredith (January 14, 2017). "Dick Gautier, best known as 'Get Smart's' Hymie the robot, dies at 85". Los Angeles Times.
- Barnes, Mike (January 14, 2017). "Dick Gautier, Hymie the Robot on Get Smart, Dies at 85". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- on YouTube
- Lamar, Cyriaque. "Batgirl almost kills Batman over unequal pay". io9. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "Dick Gautier Biography". Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "Dick Gautier Chats with the Café". Classic Film and TV Café. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "Transformers voice actor Dick Gautier the voice of Rodimus Prime to attend TFcon 2013". TFcon. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- Grimes, William (May 19, 2011). "Barbara Stuart, TV Actress, Is Dead at 81". The New York Times.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dick Gautier.|
- Official website
- Dick Gautier at the Internet Movie Database
- Dick Gautier at the TCM Movie Database
- Dick Gautier at the Internet Broadway Database
|Actors to portray Batman
|Voice of Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime