This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||January 23, 1950|
Fort Worth, Texas, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Jean Smart (1987-present)|
|Children||Connor Douglas Gilliland (b. 1989)|
Bonnie Kathleen (b. 2008)
Richard Gilliland (born January 23, 1950) is an American television and movie actor.
Early and personal life
Gilliland was born in Fort Worth, Texas. He has been married to actress Jean Smart since 1987. They met while working on the set of Designing Women (he played J. D. Shackelford, the boyfriend of Annie Potts' character, Mary Jo Shively). They have a son, Connor Douglas (born 1989) and a daughter, Bonnie Kathleen (adopted May 2009).
He appeared onscreen in the 1970s. Notable appearances include Thirtysomething, Party of Five, Little Women, and a recurring role on Designing Women (where he met his wife Jean Smart, who starred as Charlene in that series). He played Ellis Kapp on The Unit and Captain Stan Cotter on 24.
Select TV and filmography
- Bug (1975)
- Stay Hungry (1976)
- McMillan and Wife (1976) (TV series)
- The White Buffalo (1977)
- Operation Petticoat (1977 TV series)
- Little Women (1978) (television film)
- The Waltons (1981) (TV series)
- Airplane II: The Sequel (1982)
- The Night the Bridge Fell Down (1983) (TV movie)
- Just Our Luck (1983) (TV series)
- The Love Boat (1985)
- Designing Women (1987) (TV series)
- Happy Hour (1987)
- Heartland (CBS, 1989)
- Thirtysomething (1989–90)
- Murder, She Wrote (1991, 93) (TV series)
- Matlock (1991, 93, 95) (TV series)
- Winnetka Road (1994) (TV series)
- Touched by an Angel (1996) (TV series)
- Dark Skies (1996–97) (TV series)
- Early Edition (1997) (TV series)
- Brooklyn South (1998) (TV series)
- The Practice (1998) (TV series)
- Party of Five (1998, 97) (TV series)
- Judging Amy (2000) (TV series)
- Becker (2001) (TV series)
- Vampire Clan (2002)
- Joan of Arcadia (2003) (TV series)
- Crossing Jordan (2004) (TV series)
- 24 (2006) (TV series)
- The Unit (2007) (TV series)
- Dexter (2009) (TV series)
- Desperate Housewives (2010) (TV series)
- "Jean Smart- Biography". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Gans, Andrew (2007-01-02). "Jean Smart and Richard Gilliland Will Read Love Letters Feb. 10-11". Playbill. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- "Richard Gilliland - Call Me Crazy: A Five Film Official Movie Site - myLifetime.com". Mylifetime.com. 20 April 2013. Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
|This article about a United States film and television actor or actress born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|