Richard Frederick Paynter Hardman, CBE (born 1936) is a British geologist and the doyen of applied petroleum geologists. He remained the President of the Geological Society of London, 1996 - 1998  and Chairman of the Petroleum Society of Great Britain. In a career spanning over 40 years, he has worked in oil and gas exploration as a geologist in Libya, Kuwait, Colombia, Norway, and the North Sea with companies like BP, Amoco and Amerada Hess. Working as an Oil & Gas Drilling & Exploration consultant, he has remained Executive Director, Exploration at Regal Petroleum (2005–2006), Atlantic Petroleum UK, and has been Director FX Energy, Inc., based in Salt Lake City, US, since 2003.
He was awarded the Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in New Year Honours List of 1998 for services to the oil industry  and the William Smith Medal by the Geological Society in 2003.
Starting his career with British Petroleum (BP), where after working for ten years, he joined Amoco in 1969, where he became known for North Sea oil and gas exploration. He worked with the company for next 11 years, before joining Superior Oil for 3 years and finally 18 years at Amerada Hess to become its Vice President, Exploration till 2001.
He is now an oil and gas exploration consultant and since 2001 as a senior consultant to various oil and gas companies including Enterprise Oil, Neptune, FX Energy Inc and Atlantic Petroleum UK Limited and Executive Director, Exploration at Regal Petroleum (2005–06).
He is the former Chairman of both the Petroleum Group of the Geological Society and the Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain and the former President of the Geological Society. He was formerly chairman of the Science and Innovation Strategy Board of the Natural Environment Research Council, and also a trustee of the UK based education charity Oil Depletion Analysis Centre established in 2001.
- "New Year Honours: The Prime Minister's List: CBE". The Independent. 31 December 1997.
- "2003 Awards: Citations, replies Society Awards – Medals, Funds and Prizes 2003". Geological Society Stage. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011.
- "Past Presidents". Geological Society website. Archived from the original on 17 February 2012.
- "UK: Richard Hardman to sure up Regal Petroleum". energy-pedia general news. 16 June 2005.
- "Profile: Richard Hardman Director FX Energy, Inc". Forbes. Archived from the original on 14 January 2012.
- "William Smith Medal". Geological Society. Archived from the original on 23 November 2008.
- "Directorate and Nominated Adviser/Broker Changes". Regal Petroleum. 3 March 2006.