Richard Michael Hendler is an American attorney and Clinical Associate Professor of Law in Business at New York University Stern School of Business where he teaches commercial law, entertainment law, and entrepreneurial law at the undergraduate and graduate levels and Law for the Management Executive for the EMBA program.
From 1988 to 1993, Hendler worked in bankruptcy and corporate restructuring at Hughes Hubbard & Reed and Kaye, Scholer, Fierman, Hays and Handler. In 1989, he joined New York University as an adjunct professor. He became a full-time professor with the position of Clinical Associate Professor in 1993.
In addition to his academic work, Professor Hendler maintains a private practice in New York, handling a broad scope of business-related legal matters. At NYU School of Law, he acts as a supervising attorney for law students in the Media Law Collaborative, and he is affiliated with the Berkley Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation as its Legal-Expert-in-Residence.
He has been a speaker at events supporting private industry trading centers. He also held speaking engagements and seminars on the standards and maintenance of truth in professional ethics for corporations such as L'Oréal, Bear Stearns, Goldman Sachs, and American Express.
Hendler has received several teaching awards within New York University.
- 1994–1995 Undergraduate Teacher of the Year
- 1995 Eli Kushel Excellence in Teaching
- 1996 Citibank Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 1996–1997 and 2000–2001 Undergraduate Teacher of the Year
- 2000 Outstanding Faculty Adviser of Beta Alpha Psi from the Arthur Andersen LLP Foundation
- 2001, 2003, and 2005 Executive MBA Excellence in Teaching
- 2014 Stern Distinguished Award for Teaching Excellence
- "NYU Stern - Richard Hendler, Esq. - Clinical Associate Professor of Law in Business". W4.stern.nyu.edu. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- "NYU Stern | Premier Faculty". Stern.nyu.edu. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- "Business & Society Program Area | Faculty and Staff". W4.stern.nyu.edu. 2003-04-24. Retrieved 2010-08-29.