In June 2011, he took up the position of Vice Chancellor of Murdoch University, Australia. He resigned from Murdoch in October 2014. Earlier appointments include the University of Manchester (professor of Government); the Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, Australian National University (Professor in International Relations and Public Policy and Director of Studies for the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) and sub-professorial career positions at the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University and the University of Western Australia.
He is currently Research Professor at the Institute for European Studies and Distinguished Professor of Diplomacy at Vesalius College at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel.. He is working on an H2020 project on European cultural and science diplomacy.
He has been National Director of the Australian Institute of International Affairs and Vice President of the USA International Studies Association. A former Fulbright Fellow at the Kennedy School of Government he is an elected Fellow of the UK Academy of Social Sciences.
Funded Visiting Professorships include the Diplomatische Akademie Marie Therese (Vienna), the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies (Singapore), Chulalongkorn University, (Bangkok), the Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik, (Berlin), the Hungarian Institute for Advanced Study (Collegium Budapest); and in 2003 he was the first holder of ‘la Chaire Asie’ at the Fondation Nationale des Sciences Politiques (Paris).
On 1 July 2016, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation News (ABC News) reported that “Western Australia's Corruption and Crime Commission (CCC) has formed an opinion of serious misconduct against former Murdoch University vice chancellor Richard Higgott. It found Higgott schemed to have his friend appointed to a crucial university post, and he accessed adult material online from his university computer.”
- "Richard Higgott". Web.archive.org. 31 May 2016. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- Jaensch, D. (2009) A History of the Australasian Political Studies Association in The Australian Study of Politics Edited by R.A.W. Rhodes, Palgrave Macmillan, December 2009, ISBN 978-0-230-20104-0
- "Appointments". Timeshighereducation.co.uk. 6 November 2008. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- [dead link]
- "Global search for uni chief ends next door". Theaustralian.com.au. 9 June 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Lessons for all universities in CCC's Murdoch report - CCC". Ccc.wa.gov.au. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Murdoch University appoints new Vice Chancellor". Media.murdoch.edu.au. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- Linking Culture Diplomacy and Security: https://www.ies.be/node/3922
- World Who's who https://warwick.ac.uk/research/warwickcommission/worldtrade/about/commissioners/higgott/
- "Murdoch University vice chancellor engaged in serious misconduct, CCC finds - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". Mobile.abc.net.au. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
|This biography of a political scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|