Richard Hill, 7th Baron Sandys
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Sandys was the only son of Arthur Fitzgerald Sandys Hill, 6th Baron Sandys, and his wife Cynthia Mary (née Gascoigne), and was educated at the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth. He served with the Royal Scots Greys from 1950 to 1955, achieving the rank of Lieutenant. In 1961 he succeeded his father in the barony and took his seat on the Conservative benches in the House of Lords.
He served under Edward Heath as a Lord-in-Waiting (government whip in the House of Lords) in 1974 and was an Opposition Whip in the House of Lords from 1974-79. Between 1979-82, he was Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard (Deputy Chief Whip in the House of Lords) in the first Conservative administration of Margaret Thatcher. Apart from his political career he was also a Deputy Lieutenant of Worcestershire in 1968.
Lord Sandys married Patricia, daughter of Captain Lionel Hall, in 1961. They had no children.
- "Last chapter written in Lord Sandys eventful life (From Worcester News)". Worcesternews.co.uk. 14 February 2013. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Lord Sandys obituary Ombersley". Worcester News. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Who's Who 2007: An Annual Biographical Dictionary. London: A & C Black, 2007.
The Lord Strabolgi
|Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard
The Earl of Swinton
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|