Florence and Hounslow (right) at the 2016 Olympics
|Born||19 December 1981 (age 37)|
Harrow, London, U.K.
|Height||183 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||76 kg (168 lb)|
Richard John Hounslow (born 19 December 1981) is a British slalom canoeist who competed at the international level from 1999 until his retirement in 2016. He started out as a specialist in the kayak (K1) category, but in 2009 he also started competing in canoe doubles (C2) alongside David Florence. In his last season (2016) he concentrated on the C2 class exclusively.
Personal and early life
Hounslow was born in the London Borough of Harrow, which he represented in the London Youth Games. He attended Harrow College. He was inducted into the London Youth Games Hall of Fame in 2012. Outside of canoeing, Hounslow is a Tottenham Hotspur supporter.
At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London he won a silver medal in the C2 event and placed 12th in the K1 event. He won another silver medal in the C2 event at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
Hounslow won nine medals at the ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships with a gold (C2: 2013), a silver (K1 team: 2009) and seven bronzes (C2: 2010; C2 team: 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015; K1 team: 2014, 2015). He also won 9 medals at the European Championships (2 golds, 3 silvers and 4 bronzes).
World Cup individual podiums
|2008||29 Jun 2008||Tacen||3rd||K1|
|2009||28 Jun 2009||Pau||3rd||C2|
|2011||14 Aug 2011||Prague||3rd||C2|
|2012||10 Jun 2012||Cardiff||1st||C2|
|2013||23 Jun 2013||Cardiff||2nd||C2|
|2014||17 Aug 2014||Augsburg||3rd||C2|
|2015||9 Aug 2015||La Seu d'Urgell||3rd||C2|
- "Richard Hounslow". Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- GRO reference: March 1982, Vol. 11, Page 1264
- "GB Olympic canoe slalom star Richard Hounslow retires". hertfordshiremercury.co.uk. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- "Hall of Fame". londonyouthgames.org. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- "FE students add to Team GB Olympic medal haul". FE Week. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- "Spurs Fan Hounslow Wins Olympic Silver!". Tottenham Hotspur. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Richard HOUNSLOW (GBR)". CanoeSlalom.net. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- "Richard Hounslow". BBC. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Richard Hounslow.|
- 2010 ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships 11 September 2010 C2 men's final results – Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- 12 September 2009 final results for the men's C2 team slalom event for the 2009 ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships.[permanent dead link] – Retrieved 12 September 2009.
- 12 September 2009 final results for the men's K1 team event at the 2009 ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships. – Retrieved 12 September 2009.
|This article about a United Kingdom canoeist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|