Richard I. Cohen
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Richard I. (Yerachmiel) Cohen (born September 2, 1946) is a professor of history, presently holding the Paulette and Claude Kelman Chair in French Jewry Studies in the Department of Jewish History at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He specializes in the history of Jews in Western and Central Europe in the modern period, in particular the Jews of France, art history, Jewish historiography, and The Holocaust.
Cohen's 1998 book Jewish Icons: Art and Society in Modern Europe explores art by and about Jews, in the context of European Jewish social history, as well as art history, and encompasses both high art and popular visual culture; he produced this work in the course of a 15-year collaboration with fellow Hebrew University historian Ezra Mendelsohn (1940-2015) in efforts to encourage research on the arts and modern Jewish society.
- The Return to the Land of Israel. World Zionist Organization, Dor Hemschech. 1968. ISBN 965-227-035-0. (co-author: Judith Carp)
- Burden of Conscience: French-Jewish leadership during the Holocaust. Indiana University Press. 1987. ISBN 0-253-31263-9.
- Jewish Icons: Art and society in Modern Europe. University of California Press. 1998. ISBN 0-520-20545-6.
- The Emergence of Jewish Artists in Nineteenth-Century Europe. Merrill. 2001. ISBN 1-85894-153-9. (co-author: Susan Tumarkin Goodman)
- Diary of a Witness: 1940-1943. Ivan R. Dee. 2007. ISBN 1-56663-740-6. (editor)
- The Jewish Contribution to Civilization: Reassessing an idea. Littman Library of Jewish Civilization. 2008. ISBN 1-904113-52-4. (co-author: Jeremy Cohen)
- "Richard (Yerachmiel) Cohen". The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Archived from the original on 15 September 2007. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- "Richard I. Cohen". The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- Soussloff, Catherine M. Review of Jewish Icons: Art and Society in Modern Europe, by Richard I. Cohen. Central European History 33.1 (2000): p. 122-25; here: p. 122. Available via JSTOR:  (registration required).
- "Ezra Mendelsohn". The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, Barbara; Karp, Jonathan (2007). The Art of Being Jewish in Modern Times. University of Pennsylvania Press. p. 381 (footnote 2). ISBN 978-0-8122-4002-3. In the introduction, the editors credit Cohen and Mendelsohn (p. 1) with conceiving the seminar "Modern Jewry and the Arts" (held in academic year 2000-2001 at the Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, University of Pennsylvania) which was the basis of the edited volume, and state, in the cited footnote: "This seminar was the most recent in a series of efforts by Richard I. Cohen and Ezra Mendelsohn over the last fifteen years to encourage work on this topic."
- Richard I. Cohen faculty page, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, with list of publications
|This Israeli biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|